3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2010 4:54 PM by wwarren

Can't change settings

Hello, I have VirusScan Enterprise 8.5.0i, and it really bothers me that I cannot really change settings...

I "can", I can go in the console, right click on Access Protection, properties, and then, for example, remove the IRC blocking rule(which really annoys me now...)

It works!... for about 3 minutes.

Then I go back, and every possible change I can make has gone back to some default settings I do not know where to change...

Any advice on this?

I have Windows XP pro SP3, with a normal wireless, DSL connexion, I never had any virus on my laptop and I know sometimes McAfee blocks some, so it looks like the protection is active.

Ce message a été modifié par: Manux on 23/01/10 09:30:42 CST
        • 1. Re: Can't change settings

From what you've posted, it seems like a set of preset settings are being enforced and thus overwriting the changes you make.

How was the McAfee installed, and where did you get the installer from? At first glance, I would associate that behaviour with a managed install of VSE (Ie an Administrator has given you the package to install, and they control it via E-Policy Orchestrator).

• 2. Re: Can't change settings

It is indeed an admin that installed mcafee on my machine.Though, I am never connected to the original network... so I don't think it's related.

• 3. Re: Can't change settings
              wwarren

You do not have to be connected to the network for policy enforcement to occur.

The policies are already on your system. Every time you change them, they get reinforced again at the next policy enforcement interval.

The default interval is 5 minutes.

Those policies are for your own protection, at least your administrator feels that way, so you shouldn't be changing them.

Of course if you disagree, it is your admin you need to speak with. We wouldn't want to help you circumvent your companies security policies