2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2010 8:18 AM by jackmulder

    VDisk issue after upgrading 5.1 to 5.2 (VD3 to VD4)

      We've just upgraded from Safeboot 5.1 to Endpoint 5.2.3 and everything looks fine except one issue with VDisk.

      Under the old 5.1 setup, clients were running VDisk 3.

      After the upgrade, I simply went into the filesets for our machine groups, deselected VD3 (Vdisk 3) and selected VD4 instead (the new one).

      Sure enough when the clients synchronised, it downloaded the new files, and removed the old ones. Vdisk still showed that it was running v3, so I did a reboot.

      When Windows boots again it reports that VDisk can't start because a DLL file is missing. The error is:

       

      SBEVMON.EXE - Unable To Locate Component

      This application has failed to start because SbevHook.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

       

      And of course, Vdisk doesn't run.

       

      I wanted to make sure it wasn't caused by something else, so I rebuilt the machine, installed Safeboot 5.1, and again upgraded to 5.2 with VD4. Sure enough the problem persists. If I remove Safeboot (MEE) from the laptop, and then do a fresh install with 5.2 and VD4 it works ok. It seems the problem is only upgrading from VD3 to VD4.

       

      I can't see any mention of a problem on Mcafee's site, nor on this forum. Has anyone been in the same situation?

        • 1. Re: VDisk issue after upgrading 5.1 to 5.2 (VD3 to VD4)

          ok I've done some more tests and it looks like this is the problem -

           

          If I Deselect VD3, synchronise, reboot, then Select VD4, synchronise, reboot, it's fine.

          It just seems that the way it's designed, it's impossible to move from VD3 to VD4 in a single action.

          I've pasted details of the update 3 -> 4 below, looking at SBVDISK.EXE as an example, it should be replacing the old V3 version with V4.

          But checking before, and after the update runs, it's the same file, version 3.0.0.0 that remains. So even though endpoint thinks its replacing the files with new ones, it really isn't changing them at all. any ideas?

           

          8/15/2008 2:52:03 PM    Checking for file updates
          8/15/2008 2:52:04 PM    Downloading update for file "SBVDISK.EXE"
          8/15/2008 2:52:05 PM    Downloading update for file "SBEVMON.EXE"
          8/15/2008 2:52:05 PM    Downloading update for file "SBKBEPWD.DLL"
          8/15/2008 2:52:05 PM    Downloading update for file "SBKBERSA.DLL"
          8/15/2008 2:52:06 PM    Downloading update for file "SBKBECSP.DLL"
          8/15/2008 2:52:06 PM    Downloading update for file "SBKBEQA.DLL"
          8/15/2008 2:52:06 PM    Downloading update for file "SbEncVol.sys"
          8/15/2008 2:52:06 PM    Downloading update for file "SBALG01.SYS"
          8/15/2008 2:52:06 PM    Downloading update for file "SBALG12.SYS"
          8/15/2008 2:52:06 PM    Downloading update for file "SBEVNT.SRG"
          8/15/2008 2:52:06 PM    Downloading update for file "SBEV.SRG"
          8/15/2008 2:52:07 PM    Downloading update for file "SBEVHELP.INI"
          8/15/2008 2:52:07 PM    Downloading update for file "VDISK.CHM"
          8/15/2008 2:52:07 PM    Downloading update for file "LICENSE.RTF"
          8/15/2008 2:52:07 PM    Updating file "SBVDISK.EXE"
          8/15/2008 2:52:07 PM    Updating file "SBEVMON.EXE"
          8/15/2008 2:52:08 PM    Updating file "SBKBEPWD.DLL"
          8/15/2008 2:52:08 PM    Updating file "SBKBERSA.DLL"
          8/15/2008 2:52:08 PM    Updating file "SBKBECSP.DLL"
          8/15/2008 2:52:08 PM    Updating file "SBKBEQA.DLL"
          8/15/2008 2:52:08 PM    Updating file "SbEncVol.sys"
          8/15/2008 2:52:08 PM    Updating file "SBALG01.SYS"
          8/15/2008 2:52:08 PM    Updating file "SBALG12.SYS"
          8/15/2008 2:52:08 PM    Updating file "SBEVNT.SRG"
          8/15/2008 2:52:08 PM    Updating file "SBEV.SRG"
          8/15/2008 2:52:08 PM    Updating file "SBEVHELP.INI"
          8/15/2008 2:52:08 PM    Updating file "VDISK.CHM"
          8/15/2008 2:52:09 PM    Updating file "LICENSE.RTF"
          8/15/2008 2:52:09 PM    Removing file "C:\Program Files\McAfee\Endpoint Encryption for PC\VDISK\LICENSE.TXT"
          8/15/2008 2:52:09 PM    Removing file "C:\Program Files\McAfee\Endpoint Encryption for PC\VDISK\SBVDISK.INI"
          8/15/2008 2:52:09 PM    Removing file "C:\Program Files\McAfee\Endpoint Encryption for PC\VDISK\SBERRORS.INI"
          8/15/2008 2:52:09 PM    Removing file "C:\Program Files\McAfee\Endpoint Encryption for PC\VDISK\SBKBEPRO.DLL"
          8/15/2008 2:52:13 PM    Removing file "C:\Program Files\McAfee\Endpoint Encryption for PC\VDISK\SBKBEETK.DLL"
          8/15/2008 2:52:13 PM    Removing file "C:\Program Files\McAfee\Endpoint Encryption for PC\VDISK\SBEVHOOK.DLL"
          8/15/2008 2:52:13 PM    Removing file "C:\Program Files\McAfee\Endpoint Encryption for PC\VDISK\SbEvFixReg.exe"
          8/15/2008 2:52:13 PM    Applying configuration

           

           

          Message was edited by: jackmulder on 25/01/10 08:00:26 CST
          • 2. Re: VDisk issue after upgrading 5.1 to 5.2 (VD3 to VD4)

            a little progress...

             

            If I kill the Vdisk process first (via task manager), then do synchronise, it successfully updates to version 4. So that explains why it hasn't successfully replaced files, because they're locked by the software.

             

            Problem is, all of our clients are going to be running vdisk when they sync, it runs automatically on startup.