1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 21, 2010 12:36 PM by Dinz

Problems updating

I have recently installed Mcafee onto my Asus netbook. Everything works ok for around a week or so, it updates and runs fine. Then I get an error message after trying to update telling me I need to re-install the software. I have deleted and re-installed McAfee FIVE times now, and have been through McAfee support, followed various methods to try to resolve the problem, even posted on here, but without success. I have an Asus netbook, and I compress all my files due to space restrictions, and regularly use disk cleaner and defragmentor. Nothing I seem to do seems to stop this error occurring around a week after installing. HELP !!!!!

• 1. Re: Problems updating
          Dinz

Hi,

There are two senearios where it could have an problem updating ,
          1. There should be any incompatible software in the system which blocks the DAT downloads to the software, 2.Might be due to malware infections.

Please follow the below prompts:

Check and delete if you have any other security software in C:/program files and common files.

Click on "Start" and then click on "Run". Then Type in "Drivers".

On the window that opens up try to open up the folder named "ETC". then look for the file "Hosts" and then right click on the file and open it with "NotePad".Check the bottom of the page just below from where it says 127.0.0.1 local host.If you have list of websites remove them all and ensure you have the details only up to 127.0.0.1 information about websites below this can be removed.

Once done save the files and try to update McAfee.

Regards,
          Dinesh K