4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2010 9:28 AM by runcmd

McAfee 8.5i to 8.7i

I work for a county courthouse, and we just purchased a windows 7 64 bit laptop, we use McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise 8.5i, when I went to install this on the laptop I got a compatibility error, Windows stopped the application from loading, I checked the internet and it said that 8.7 would work for windows 7, so my question is, is this an upgrade, an update is it an application that we will have to buy, and how much does it costs, etc., this is a fact finding mission to inform my boss of the next step we will have to take before we give the laptop to the user.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Maverick

• 1. Re: McAfee 8.5i to 8.7i

dude, VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i is a separate and a different product from 8.5 so you're gonna have to have an upgrade or uninstall 8.5 / install 8.7 with this scenario.

Anyway, VirusScan 8.7i w/ Patch 2 is the compatible product for Windows 7. You can download all the patches and installers of VSE 8.7 via Mcafee site.(depending on the product suite that you purchased. On our side, we purchased TOPS for endpoint and it already included several products such as HIPS, EPO, AntiSpyware.etc)

Just check this site https://secure.nai.com/apps/downloads/my_products/login.asp and login using your grant number (this is provided upon purchase of your Mcafee products) and there you will see the list of all available products that you can use.

Hope this helps

• 2. Re: McAfee 8.5i to 8.7i

Thanks for you help, I passed the information on to my boss for her to make the decision on which way to proceed with this issue.

Message was edited by: Mavericktwo on 1/21/10 8:33:42 AM CST
            • 3. Re: McAfee 8.5i to 8.7i
              SergeM

I have to specify that we got Viruscan 8.7i as part of our "ViruScan" and "Total Protection for Endpoint" licences... We didn't need to buy anything new or special.

I'd suggest

As was mentionned before, make sure you get VSE 8.7 with patch 2 !!

Serge

• 4. Re: McAfee 8.5i to 8.7i
                runcmd

Are you using VSE in an ePO managed configuration or standalone?  If the former, remember that the ePO maintains separate policies for v8.5 and v8.7.  You may also want to review KB66706 for agent compatibility information.