3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2010 6:24 AM by JoeBidgood

Upgrading fromp ePo 3.6.1 to 4.5 Version

Hi there, We plan to upgrade our ePo from 3.6.1 to 4.5 Version. For the moment we have one ePo Server for about 2500 nodes. This server is a virtual windows Server 2003 SP 1 on Microsoft Virtual Server 2005R2. The DB is on a dedicated Server SQL Server 2005 The agent installed on the clients is CMA 3.6.0 Patch 4 on Windows XP Pro SP3. The future ePo will be a virtual Windows 2003 Server too. The future DB will be on the same dedicated Server. Could you tell me what is the best practice to move all our clients to the new ePo Server If it is possible using the old ePo Server with customized agent deployement from the old ePo for example We don t want use login scripts or third party software to do this upgrade. We don' t use AD / NT Domain sync.

Thanks for that, Best regards,

• 1. Re: Upgrading fromp ePo 3.6.1 to 4.5 Version
          JoeBidgood

By far the easiest method is simply to upgrade your existing 3.6.1 installation to 4.5... is there a reason why this is not possible?

(Additionally, I am honour-bound to point out that ePO 3.6.1 was not supported on Virtual Server 2005, so I cannot guarantee that any upgrade will work. See  KB51569 for more information.)

Regards -

Joe

• 2. Re: Upgrading fromp ePo 3.6.1 to 4.5 Version

thanks for that answer,

The main reason is that I think that this is too dangerous to upgrade directly our existing 3.6.1.

So I prefer create a new server with a new DB.

The agents should be redirected automatically from the 3.6.1 to the 4.5 ePo

We'll keep the 3.6.1 ePo only for redirection of the clients.

Do you understand my explanation ?

Regards

• 3. Re: Upgrading fromp ePo 3.6.1 to 4.5 Version
              JoeBidgood

I understand the explanation - however you may not be aware that an upgrade of 361 to 4.5 will create a new database anyway. The database design from epo 3.x to 4.x is so different that the ePO 4.x install creates a completely new database and then migrates only the required data from the old one.  You can certainly do what you are describing, but please be aware that you will lose (or have to recreate) all of your directory structure, policies and policy assignments, tasks and task assignments, and so on.

To achieve what you're describing is actually pretty simple as long as you control your own DNS. Simply install the new ePO 4.5 server, then turn off the 3.6.1 server and change its DNS entry so that it points the 361 server's name to the 4.5 server's IP address.  That way the agents will try to talk to the 361 server's IP address, fail, do a DNS lookup and receive the 4.5 server's IP address, which they should then communicate with correctly.

Regards -

Joe