1. Make sure that the computer doesn’t have any other antivirus software in control panel or C:\program files and common files. If found delete them.
2. Click on "Start" and then click on "Run". Then Type in "Drivers".
On the window that opens up try to open up the folder named "ETC". Then look for the file "Hosts" and then right click on the file and open it with "Notepad". Check the bottom of the page just below from where it says 127.0.0.1 local host. If you have list of websites remove them all and ensure you have the details only up to 127.0.0.1 information about websites below this can be removed.
Once done save the files and try to update McAfee.
3. Click start – run type services.msc, from the services local window check whether the start up type for terminal services is in automatic, if not click on the particular service and change it to automatic
Click recovery tab and change all the three failures to restart the service
4.Restart the computer and then try to update security center.
Thanks for input Dinesh. I cleaned everything off that seemed related to any other virus scan & anti spyware softwares. The only file I could not delete was "SindsRVC.exe in a common files symatec folder. System said file was in use.
Did Start, Run Drivers, went to ETC folder, Opened file Hosts. Just below line that says 127.0.0.1 local host, there are literally 100's of lines that start with 127.0.0.1. No other addresses were listed. Since I thought I was looking for a line that had a different address I did not delete anything.
I ran Sevices.msc. Terminal Services was set to manual. I changed to automatic. Also changed all three failures to restart and rebooted computer,
Tried Update. No update icon showed up in the task bar but Security Center information is showing that an update check was made today, and a last scan was made today.
This is definitely progress from where I was a couple of days ago. I'm still not sure if update will work automatically, and If I'm not seeing the update icon, is this a problem?
You can try these steps
1. Open IE , Tools/internet options/connections- lan settings- if proxy server is checked uncheck , try to update mcafee, and if it dosent work
2. Start-run- in the run box type ncpa.cpl click on ok , right click on local area connection click on properties,choose internet protocol Tcp/Ip V4 - click on properties
put a check mark on Obtain dns server automatic , obtain ip address automatic and Update mcafee .
All the best
Thanks for the input Bravo.
Opened IE Tools/Internet options/connections - lan settings. Proxy server was not checked so took no further action on this advice.
Did Start Run ncpa.cpl, right click on Local area connection, properties. Tcp/IP V4 was not there, only TCP/IP. There already was a checkmark on Obtain DNS server automatic and on Obtain IP address automatic. Took no further action on this advice. I'm assuming its ok that I only have TCP/IP. If you think it will make a difference if I install TCP/IP V4, I will try to do that.
Thanks anyway though.
lets try this ,
This will modifying the registry , so please take backup before trying this
Back up of registry- Start -Run - regedit you will get the Registry Editor, click on File - Export , save the file on C: drive , file name as Backup
click on the link and save the bat file on your desktop
Double click on TS100492.bat.
Restart the computer and Update McAfee