9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2010 6:03 AM by serc09

Problem with deploying VSE 8.7 & CMA 4.0 on ePO 4.5

serc09

Hey.

Using ePO 4.5 for a customer - works nearly fine.

Problem 1:

I created a server task to deploy CMA 4.0 (4.0.0.1494) to deploy everyday on 12:00 - works fine. In the server taks log i see the the agent is installed on 15 clients - but when i try to reactivate the agents, it will only reactivate on 2 or 3, the other ones will never communicate with the server.

What can i do here?

Problem 2:

If the clients communicate with ePO i set up a deployment task to deploy VSE 8.7 - works fine on most of the clients, but on some clients it stays on VSE 8.5. I dont know which version/patch exactly they are on 8.5 - might this be a problem, so that i first have to update to 8.5 patch xy and to 8.7?

Hope someone can help me.

Regards

serc09

• 1. Re: Problem with deploying VSE 8.7 & CMA 4.0 on ePO 4.5
          jstanley

Unfortunately I cannot offer much more than generalized suggestions with the information provided.

Problem 1 (clients failing to communicate back after pushing the agent):

* Did the push for the agent work? In the ePO server task log does it indicate the agent push to that machine was successful?

* Did the install of the agent complete successfully? The server task log in ePO only reports on the push it won't tell you if the install was successful. You can review the agent install logs on the client or if the clients had no agent installed previously just look and see if the "McAfee Framework Service" is present and started. If the install failed you may want to try manually installing the agent on one of the affected clients and see what error pops up. Perhaps post a copy of the agent's install log (frminst_<machine name>.log) and the MSI log (in the same directory as the agent install log) for review.

* What do you mean by "reactivate"?

* If the agent is installed and the machine is still not communicating, what is the error in the agent's log? Can you post a copy of the log for review?

Problem 2 (clients failing to upgrade from VSE 8.5 to VSE 8.7):

* Did the deployment task ever invoke on the client? You will need to review the agent log to find out. Perhaps post a copy of the agent log (agent_<machine name>.log) as well as the mcscript log for review.

* If you manually attempt to upgrade to VSE 8.7i does it work? If it fails then you will need to investigate the upgrade problem with VSE. If you cannot upgrade VSE manually you will likely have no better success doing it through ePO,

• 2. Re: Problem with deploying VSE 8.7 & CMA 4.0 on ePO 4.5
            serc09

jstanley schrieb:

Unfortunately I cannot offer much more than generalized suggestions with the information provided.

Problem 1 (clients failing to communicate back after pushing the agent):

* Did the push for the agent work? In the ePO server task log does it indicate the agent push to that machine was successful?

ePO server log says that the pushwas successful on 15 clients, failed on 12 and timed out on few machines.

* Did the install of the agent complete successfully? The server task log in ePO only reports on the push it won't tell you if the install was successful. You can review the agent install logs on the client or if the clients had no agent installed previously just look and see if the "McAfee Framework Service" is present and started. If the install failed you may want to try manually installing the agent on one of the affected clients and see what error pops up. Perhaps post a copy of the agent's install log (frminst_<machine name>.log) and the MSI log (in the same directory as the agent install log) for review.

I will try to install the agent manually when i have access to the machines - tomorrow morning i think.

* What do you mean by "reactivate"?

Tried to wake the agent up

* If the agent is installed and the machine is still not communicating, what is the error in the agent's log? Can you post a copy of the log for review?

Problem 2 (clients failing to upgrade from VSE 8.5 to VSE 8.7):

* Did the deployment task ever invoke on the client? You will need to review the agent log to find out. Perhaps post a copy of the agent log (agent_<machine name>.log) as well as the mcscript log for review.

If the agent log is located on the client i will not get it at the moment, tomorrow morning i think. (where do i exactly find this log?)

* If you manually attempt to upgrade to VSE 8.7i does it work? If it fails then you will need to investigate the upgrade problem with VSE. If you cannot upgrade VSE manually you will likely have no better success doing it through ePO,

Never tried to install VSE 8.7i manually.

THX

Regards

serc09

• 3. Re: Problem with deploying VSE 8.7 & CMA 4.0 on ePO 4.5
              jstanley

If the agent is installed but failing to communicate back then you need to look at the agent log to determine why. You can access the log remotely by opening IE on your ePO server and going to HTTP://<machinename>:8081. Then click on current next to  FrameSvc at the top of the page and it will pull down the agent's log file. Locally on the client you can access the same thing by going to this directory:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\Common Framework\DB\Agent_<machine name>.log

or on Windows Vista\Windows 7\Windows 2008:

C:\ProgramData\McAfee\Common Framework\DB\Agent_<machine name>.log

If the agent wakeup call is failing then you need to check the server.log on the ePO server for the error.

• 4. Re: Problem with deploying VSE 8.7 & CMA 4.0 on ePO 4.5
                serc09

I'll check that all when i'll the time for....

thx anyway for your answers

• 5. Re: Problem with deploying VSE 8.7 & CMA 4.0 on ePO 4.5
                  serc09

So, here we are.

Yesterday i had the chance to get remote access to 2 of the clients failing to install VSE 8.7 - so i looked for the "Agent_<machine name>.log" in the suggested folder - NOTHING.

Search on C:\ for "*.log" returned many logs, but not a "Agent_<machine name>.log" - same on D:\.

I decided to install VSE 8.7 manually - completed without any problems - all policies were applied - epo now shows VSE 8.7 installed.

Thats the way i will do this on the few clients not automatically installing VSE 8.7.

HTTP://<machinename>:8081 doesn't work - always getting Error 403, forbidden - even on managed systems.

regards

serc09

• 6. Re: Problem with deploying VSE 8.7 & CMA 4.0 on ePO 4.5
                    Attila Polinger

Why do not you install CMA manually on these two systems?

Look for Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\Common Framework\Db folder, this contains relevant CMA logs. If this folder does not exist, you might have no CMA installed. In this case the http://hostname:8081 URL will not work.

%TEMP%\McAfeeLogs folder may contain some other logs, including CMA installation logs (FRMINST_hostname.LOG), which when exist, could provide clue as to what has happened during CMA push install.

Attila

• 7. Re: Problem with deploying VSE 8.7 & CMA 4.0 on ePO 4.5
                      serc09

CMA 4.0 was deployed without any problems, it also reported back - just the deployment of VSE 8.7 did not work as on other clients.

Today i have no more remote access to the clients, so i cant check if there exist other logs.

serc09

P.S.: http://hostname:8081/ doesn't work on my 2 ePOs (both 4.5 P1) - tried all the ports set up in the serversettings.

• 8. Re: Problem with deploying VSE 8.7 & CMA 4.0 on ePO 4.5
                        Attila Polinger

Well, so you need to look at the MA log to see why it did not install VSE.

If you can't access the agent log via the browser url, then possible reasons can be e.g. remote access to agent logs is disabled (default setting on ePO) or you do not have any MA installed.

+ I have seen it one time when the agent log port was 8082, not 8081 and we wondered why, because we usually leave this port on default.

If you have the MA installed then the browser agent log is under the first folder I mentioned here: you can open it and IE rules regarding  opening XML documents apply (might warn you before it opens).

You can also open McScript.log from the same folder for more detailed log information and scroll down until it displays some meaningful reason of the failure.

Attila

• 9. Re: Problem with deploying VSE 8.7 & CMA 4.0 on ePO 4.5
                          serc09

apoling schrieb:

Well, so you need to look at the MA log to see why it did not install VSE.

If you can't access the agent log via the browser url, then possible reasons can be e.g. remote access to agent logs is disabled (default setting on ePO) or you do not have any MA installed.

+ I have seen it one time when the agent log port was 8082, not 8081 and we wondered why, because we usually leave this port on default.

If you have the MA installed then the browser agent log is under the first folder I mentioned here: you can open it and IE rules regarding  opening XML documents apply (might warn you before it opens).

You can also open McScript.log from the same folder for more detailed log information and scroll down until it displays some meaningful reason of the failure.

Attila

That was the turning point at the ePO in our environment, will check that later on the customers ePO (with the clients VSE 8.7 failed)

THX.

regards

serc09

Edit: works also on the customers ePO and clients now.

Nachricht geändert durch serc09 on 11.02.10 13:03:17 GMT+01:00