1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2010 11:59 PM by CrazyChuck

Service(s) not running - Need to reinstall?

I picked up a Trojan SPM/LX virus a few hours ago. Most noticable symptoms were that the desktop wallpaper changed to a bright green, I was unable to access the Task Manager or System Restore, and there were numerous pop-ups reminding me that I was infected.

I ran Malwarebytes, which detected and removed five items, which were consistent with what I'd read about this virus:

Registry Data Items Infected:
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\Disa bleTaskMgr (Hijack.TaskManager) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDeskt op\NoChangingWallpaper (Hijack.DisplayProperties) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\activedesk top\NoChangingWallpaper (Hijack.DisplayProperties) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

After restarting, things didn't seem quite back to normal, but I was able to get into System Restore and use a recent restore point.

Now everything seems fine, except McAfee gave me a message that various items were disabled (real time scanning, spyware scanning, etc.). After hitting the Fix button several times, the problem still wasn't resolved, and now it says the problem is that "Some components are missing. Please reinstall McAfee VirusScan."

I ran the Virtual Technician, with the result "Problem: Service(s) not running (1)." It cannot correct this problem either.

Do I need to just uninstall and reinstall McAfee? I am on a PC with Windows XP, primarily using Firefox v3.5. I have McAfee SecurityCenter 9.15 and VirusScan 13.15.

1 2 Previous Next