1 2 Previous Next 13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2010 7:58 PM by Peter M

Can mc afee work with other programs to keep the computer running ok?

Hi, I want to know if I can have mc afee, supera antispyware, ad aware game edition, tune up utilities all toguether  because  my computer is telling me that i have two antivirus running at the same time and thats why my computer is so slow.  Is a laptop .

• 1. Re: Can mc afee work with other programs to keep the computer running ok?
          Peter M

SuperAntiSpyware is OK as long as no active protection is enabled, as in the Pro edition - that may or may not clash.

Adaware Free edition is the only one that is guaranteed OK as others either have active protection which may clash and in the case of Game Edition, actually have anti-virus incorporated which will most definitely clash and possibly leave you open to infection.

PC Tuning applications are unnecessary icing on the cake and often can do more harm than good.  Believe me, I speak from experience.  They are one of the biggest causes of malfunctions because inevitably they will remove registry keys belonging to vital components.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 16/01/10 8:02:03 EST PM
          • 2. Re: Can mc afee work with other programs to keep the computer running ok?

Peter wrote:

>>SuperAntiSpyware is OK

>>Adaware Free edition

Hi, Peter:

Any thoughts about MBAM (Malwarebytes Antimalware) Free, without active protection?

It gets good marks from CNET, etc, and the folks at Malwarebytes.org seem to think it will play nicely with McAfee, so long as firewall exclusions are properly set.

What about A-Squared Free (it also has its fans (and detractors)?

Spybot S&D (have run it on multiple XP platforms with Norton and Sophos suites without problems)?

I''ve used AdAware products in the past, and although recent versions seem to be better, they seemed to be rather buggy and heavy on system resources.  Might be worth a try again, though.

I understand that no product is 100% effective, but it does seem to be the case that adding another layer of AV protection to catch pests not routinely caught by McAfee or other big suites is not such a terrible thing. 

My primary goal is to select something as effective as possible that is least likely to conflict or interfere with McAfee.

Thanks!

MM

PS I agree with you about registry optimizers!  Many "bad childhood experiences" with these, so they make me VERY squeamish!

• 3. Re: Can mc afee work with other programs to keep the computer running ok?
              Peter M

MalwareBytes Free is great and Spybot is so-so (without the Teatimer add-on) in my opinion as I prefer SuperAntiSpyware myself.

• 4. Re: Can mc afee work with other programs to keep the computer running ok?

Hi, Peter:

Glad to see you are back.

Peter wrote:

>>MalwareBytes Free is great and Spybot is so-so (without the Teatimer add-on) in my opinion as I prefer SuperAntiSpyware myself.

Yeah, Spybot S&D really went downhill -- I used it on both my XP machines, but not on my Vista or W7. I heard they haven't kept up, and there a lot of FPs, etc.

Well, since I've come to trust your opinions and expertise these past several days, I'll likely try MBAM Free or SAS Free.  AdAware (all versions) is apparently about to release a ~major update with an improved, more quickly loading GUI. So, MBAM or SAS is probably the best bet for now.

I will be sure NOT to enable run @ startup or active protection (though I am pretty sure neither of these products offers this capability in the FREE version).

I've never had to configure McAfee to allow another security app (when I installed Counterspy 3, it seemed to install fine and I've never had any conflicts with McAfee), so I am new to that aspect.

Anything I need to know in particular about installing them (aside from the general recommendation to <gulp> temporarily disable the McAfee FW and AV?

Do I need to manually add all the major EXE files to the "allowed programs" in the FW and the "trusted" list for the AV, or should this occur automatically?

Once again, THANKS A TON!

MM

• 5. Re: Can mc afee work with other programs to keep the computer running ok?
                  Peter M

You shouldn't need to do anything at all to accomodate MBAM or SA.  If permission is needed McAfee will ask at that time, so I wouldn't worry.

• 6. Re: Can mc afee work with other programs to keep the computer running ok?

Hi, Peter:

You wrote:

>>>You shouldn't need to do anything at all to accomodate MBAM or SA.  If permission is needed McAfee will ask at that time <snip>

That's good to know.

But I *do* need to temporarily disable the FW and AV during the installation of MBAM or SAS in order to minimize any conflicts?

(Along these same lines, I probably should not temporarily ENable the Windows FW during the process, right?)

Needless to say, I need to turn the McAfee FW and AV back on and "protect my systems" ASAP after the standalone install, of course (esp given the current security bulletin from Redmond). AND I need to run scans after doing so, to be sure I didn't pick up anything during the brief period of vulnerability?

Sorry for all the questions -- this security-software stuff makes my head explode and I hate to do something that will corrupt the install or create more problems than it solves.

Thanks!!

MM

• 7. Re: Can mc afee work with other programs to keep the computer running ok?
                      Peter M

I didn't do all that when I installed them.

• 8. Re: Can mc afee work with other programs to keep the computer running ok?

Hi, Peter:

Well, I did go to the trouble of turning everything off (briefly) before the install, and it went fine.

MBAM installed great, opened fine, updated defs, and ran a clean, quick scan.

I am about to run a deep scan.

The only thing left to test will be to see what happens when I reboot the system.

Since I'm using Free, without the system protection module, and since there's no "active protection" or "run at startup" and since it's Vista, I should be OK.

I did check the McAfee FW exclusions after the install and MBAM wasn't listed, so I did manually add the 3 EXE files to the allowed list, just to be sure.

It was easy to do.

Thanks for the hand-holding on this.

Once my brain and blood pressure recover, I may add SAS sometime soon, as well.

I REALLY do appreciate the advice and assistance!

(I probably would have already moved on to another ISS, were it not for the help provided by you and the other members.)

Thanks,

MM

PS I wonder what happened to the person who started this thread <LOL>? But I'm glad he/she did!

Message was edited by: MoxieMomma on 1/17/10 10:51:26 AM CST
                        • 9. Re: Can mc afee work with other programs to keep the computer running ok?
                          Peter M

I think their question was answered OK.  Good luck.

1 2 Previous Next