1 2 3 Previous Next 95 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2010 8:23 AM by exbrit

DAT 5862 -> DAT 5860 -> back to DAT 5862?

(Thought I'd be a bit more specific in the subject, to help the moderators.)

Hello:

VirusScan DAT updates are wonky again (just a week after the prolonged problem with DAT 5855).

Everything had been working fine since DAT 5856 -- updates, scans, active protection, etc.

Last evening, I was notified that DAT 5862 (1/15/10) was available.

Installed it fine -- nothing unusual noted.

Overnight scan ran fine & clean.

This morning awoke to notice of another VirusScan update & assumed it was an "emergency" patch.

Installed it fine, but, when I checked, my DAT version was now BACK to 5860 (1/13/2010).

So, I ran a manual update, which installed DAT 5862 (1/15/2010) again!

Just ran MVT (23436579) and it detected no issues. Yes, I "am protected".

Not panicking, just confused.

This is the second time in less than a week VirusScan updates have been misbehaving.

Will wait to hear from the experts!!

TIA,

MM

• 1. Re: DAT 5862 -> DAT 5860 -> back to DAT 5862?
          exbrit

It's one of those mysteries that I think we aren't supposed to ask about - joke.

This morning at boot up mine was 5860 and I remember it updated sometime last evening (never checked DAT number), so I read your post and immediately asked for an update.  5862 came in.  Created 15th and installed on 16th.

Not sure how yours went backwards.  I've never heard that happen but I will ask at our Monday conference call.

I wouldn't concern yourself if the SecurityCenter says all is well.  I have found over the years to reduce my stress levels I just don't investigate anything unless it stops working.

• 2. Re: DAT 5862 -> DAT 5860 -> back to DAT 5862?

Top of the mornin' to ya, Peter!

Well, if yours was at 5860 this AM & you updated to 5862, then yours had likely done the same thing (since 5862 was pushed out sometime yesterday, after 5860 had been published/installed a day or so earlier).

Or so it seems.

And others are having the same problem.

Nope, not fretting.

About to head out for some fresh air and exercise with Moxie (who only cares about computers when it comes to online shopping for canine gifts!).

That said, McAfee is starting to drive me CRAZY, so I hope they can get their stuff together before I start looking at other ISSs.

Cheers,

MM

• 3. Re: DAT 5862 -> DAT 5860 -> back to DAT 5862?
              exbrit

I just ignore it.

• 4. Re: DAT 5862 -> DAT 5860 -> back to DAT 5862?

hello - just want to pipe in and say the same thing happened to my computer.the back and forth of dat 5862 thing.  I ran a scan on it last night so I have documented I had dat 5862 then, at 11:00 am today I got updated but it was dat 5860, so I  immediately ran a manual update, and now it says dat 5862.  And this is not april 1st is it?

• 5. Re: DAT 5862 -> DAT 5860 -> back to DAT 5862?

Hi, again:

Well, FYI it has happened AGAIN.

After the first 5862 -> 5860 -> 5862 flip-flop, I left for a while, came back, and was notified of ANOTHER update.

Before installing, I checked and it was DAT 5862 (1/15/2010, installed 1/16/2010).

After installing this latest "update", however, it had reverted BACK to 5860 AGAIN!

Another *manual* update installed 5862 AGAIN!

I'm sure that, in a few hours, when Security Center next polls for updates, it will advise to update yet again, back to 5860.

And we will start all over again and again.

No, I'm not panicked, I realize that the problem is likely NOT with my computer (MVT 2346579 was fine ~2 hours ago), and I know the system is "protected", but this is the 2nd week in a row of malfunctioning updates.  EDIT: That should read MVT Session ID 23436579 (sorry about that).

Frankly, it's starting to become more than a nuisance, and my patience is wearing a bit thin.

I sure do hope McAfee will address these significant systemic issues once and for all very soon, lest I should have to consider alternative ISSs.

Thanks,

MM

Message was edited by: MoxieMomma on 1/16/10 11:47:37 AM CST
                  • 6. Re: DAT 5862 -> DAT 5860 -> back to DAT 5862?
                    exbrit

There must be server troubles, that's all I can assume as it's the weekend and I wont be able to raise anyone at McAfee and I have no contacts for their IT department.

My updates are set to install silently and I'm still at 5862 and even though I just checked no further updates are available.

I'm sure that they are aware of it, wherever they are.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 16/01/10 12:32:26 EST PM
                    1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: DAT 5862 -> DAT 5860 -> back to DAT 5862?

MoxieMomma wrote:

Hi, again:

Well, FYI it has happened AGAIN.

After the first 5862 -> 5860 -> 5862 flip-flop, I left for a while, came back, and was notified of ANOTHER update.

Before installing, I checked and it was DAT 5862 (1/15/2010, installed 1/16/2010).

After installing this latest "update", however, it had reverted BACK to 5860 AGAIN!

Another *manual* update installed 5862 AGAIN!

I'm sure that, in a few hours, when Security Center next polls for updates, it will advise to update yet again, back to 5860.

And we will start all over again and again.

No, I'm not panicked, I realize that the problem is likely NOT with my computer (MVT 2346579 was fine ~2 hours ago), and I know the system is "protected", but this is the 2nd week in a row of malfunctioning updates.  EDIT: That should read MVT Session ID 23436579 (sorry about that).

Frankly, it's starting to become more than a nuisance, and my patience is wearing a bit thin.

I sure do hope McAfee will address these significant systemic issues once and for all very soon, lest I should have to consider alternative ISSs.

Thanks,

MM

Message was edited by: MoxieMomma on 1/16/10 11:47:37 AM CST

MoxieMomma I too was updated????? to 5860 again automatically. This is really getting to be quite annoying with McAfee. Happens way to often!!!

Jerry

• 8. Re: DAT 5862 -> DAT 5860 -> back to DAT 5862?

Just a bit more information. This morning mine was on 5862. About 10 minutes ago it did the update automatically and seemed to take a long time. I looked and it had gone back to 5860 and I am stuck there as I can't even manually get it to go back to 5862. I looked and 5863 has been posted. When I try the manual update it just runs the little circle for a few seconds and drops off with no type of notice. I wonder if 5863 has a bug in it?  At least Moxie was able to get hers back to the 5862 data file. I can't even do that.

Ron

• 9. Re: DAT 5862 -> DAT 5860 -> back to DAT 5862?

Ron65 wrote:

Just a bit more information. This morning mine was on 5862. About 10 minutes ago it did the update automatically and seemed to take a long time. I looked and it had gone back to 5860 and I am stuck there as I can't even manually get it to go back to 5862. I looked and 5863 has been posted. When I try the manual update it just runs the little circle for a few seconds and drops off with no type of notice. I wonder if 5863 has a bug in it?  At least Moxie was able to get hers back to the 5862 data file. I can't even do that.

Ron

Ron same thing here. Now I manually update and says downloading and then goes away just like last weekend. Am really getting upset about this and really getting sick of hearing don't worry or panic all the time. This should not be happening to us every week!!!!

Jerry

1 2 3 Previous Next