5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2010 8:46 AM by hs64

Temporary disable virus scan by non-admin

I would like to allow non-admin on my XP to temporarily disable VirusScan for few minutes once in a while. Is there a way to do that?

• 1. Re: Temporary disable virus scan by non-admin
          Dinz

Hi hs64,

By non admin do you mean a windows limited user ?

Regards,

Dinesh K

• 2. Re: Temporary disable virus scan by non-admin

Yes, I am the admin on this PC, but I would like to allow my kids which are limited users to disable the Virus scan when needed (there are a couple of games that never starts if the virus scan is active)

• 3. Re: Temporary disable virus scan by non-admin
              Dinz

Hi,

Only a windows administrator could configure mcafee settings, yet you could set permission for those games so that the limited users dont have a problem. To set firewall permission for a particular application follow these prompts:

1. Double-click the M icon in your taskbar.

2. Select Internet & Network, then click Configure on the right.

3. In the section titled Firewall protection is enabled, click Advanced.

4. Select Program Permissions from the Home list on the left.

5. Click the Add Allowed Program button on the right.

6. Use Windows Explorer to browse and locate your application .exe.

7. Click OK and close SecurityCenter. 

And then try to access those programs from the limited user account, Do report back if you have any issues.

Regards,

Dinesh K

• 4. Re: Temporary disable virus scan by non-admin

Hi Dinesh, thanks for your help.

As I mentioned in my post, the problem is in the virus scan and not in the firewall. The programs were added a while ago to the firewall's white list but it did not improve the situation. When I start the game from my account it would get stuck in its initialization until I turn off the virus scan. The moment I turn it off the game would resume its initialization immediately and the game can be played. (The virus scan can be turned on after the initialization is done).

I looks like the problem occurs when the game is starting nProtect's GameGaurd. It behaves as if McAfee blocks this component from running. Can this be the problem?

Best,

Hs

• 5. Re: Temporary disable virus scan by non-admin

Hi,

Searching for GameGuard related posts on this forum, I have found that it may be in conflict with the Active Protection component. I disable the Active Component and the problems are gone!!

The only issue I have is that my "Active Protection" is now disabled - how much does this expose me to viruses and other malware?

Is there a way to tell the Active Protection to ignore GameGuard?

Best,

hs