1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2010 10:45 AM by tesdall

Installing 8.7 and menus are grayed out

I have 8.7 installed on my machine. It gets pushed out via the ePO 4.5. I have some menus grayed out but Mcafee told me to uninstall and reinstall the 8.7 and everything came back (pictures below). I then made my own install of 8.7 to turn on scanning of on demand scanning of mime and zip files by importing registry settings. Since I uninstalled and reinstalled 8.7 yet again, my settings are grayed out. How can I turn them on so they are not grayed out?

Picture posted.

• 1. Re: Installing 8.7 and menus are grayed out

This is one of the settings i have selected (and on my ePO) .

Picture.

Message was edited by: tesdall on 1/15/10 10:37:06 AM CST
          • 2. Re: Installing 8.7 and menus are grayed out

Check your access protection log file, you can do that by right clicking the agent, then quick settings...

Check if there is a rule that is blocking write or modify in your mcafee programs folder.

• 3. Re: Installing 8.7 and menus are grayed out

i want to yell at you for making me look for that setting, its grayed out haha. Is there any other way to get to that log file?

• 4. Re: Installing 8.7 and menus are grayed out

Jaja, sorry for that...

the log file should be here:

document and settings\all users\application data\mcafee\desktop protection

its called accessprotectionlog.txt

I now that is something there because of the red exclamation icon I see in the first image.

• 5. Re: Installing 8.7 and menus are grayed out

i found the text (thank you!) here is a sample of it.

1/13/2010 2:58:08 PM Blocked by Access Protection rule  CSS\tesdall c:\6d623d8ab2b730b3cb35b08fdd59\i386\update\fixccs.exe \REGISTRY\MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\McAfeeFramework\$%&'()*+, Common Standard Protection:Prevent modification of McAfee Common Management Agent files and settings Action blocked : Create
                  1/13/2010 2:58:08 PM Blocked by Access Protection rule  CSS\tesdall c:\6d623d8ab2b730b3cb35b08fdd59\i386\update\fixccs.exe \REGISTRY\MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\McAfeeFramework\$%&'()*+,- Common Standard Protection:Prevent modification of McAfee Common Management Agent files and settings Action blocked : Create
                  1/13/2010 2:58:08 PM Blocked by Access Protection rule  CSS\tesdall c:\6d623d8ab2b730b3cb35b08fdd59\i386\update\fixccs.exe \REGISTRY\MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\McAfeeFramework\$%&'()*+,-. Common Standard Protection:Prevent modification of McAfee Common Management Agent files and settings Action blocked : Create
                  1/13/2010 2:58:08 PM Blocked by Access Protection rule  CSS\tesdall c:\6d623d8ab2b730b3cb35b08fdd59\i386\update\fixccs.exe \REGISTRY\MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\McAfeeFramework\$%&'()*+,-./ Common Standard Protection:Prevent modification of McAfee Common Management Agent files and settings Action blocked : Create
                  1/13/2010 2:58:08 PM Blocked by Access Protection rule  CSS\tesdall c:\6d623d8ab2b730b3cb35b08fdd59\i386\update\fixccs.exe \REGISTRY\MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\McAfeeFramework\$%&'()*+,-./0 Common Standard Protection:Prevent modification of McAfee Common Management Agent files and settings Action blocked : Create
                  1/13/2010 2:58:08 PM Blocked by Access Protection rule  CSS\tesdall c:\6d623d8ab2b730b3cb35b08fdd59\i386\update\fixccs.exe \REGISTRY\MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\McAfeeFramework\$%&'()*+,-./01 Common Standard Protection:Prevent modification of McAfee Common Management Agent files and settings Action blocked : Create
                  1/13/2010 2:58:08 PM Blocked by Access Protection rule  CSS\tesdall c:\6d623d8ab2b730b3cb35b08fdd59\i386\update\fixccs.exe \REGISTRY\MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\McAfeeFramework\$%&'()*+,-./012 Common Standard Protection:Prevent modification of McAfee Common Management Agent files and settings Action blocked : Create
                  1/13/2010 2:58:08 PM Blocked by Access Protection rule  CSS\tesdall c:\6d623d8ab2b730b3cb35b08fdd59\i386\update\fixccs.exe

and here is what the red ! is  (Picture)

• 6. Re: Installing 8.7 and menus are grayed out

Try this,

1- disable access protection from the viruscan console.

2- Pull your policies from epo.

3- enable access protection from viruscan console.

4- check if you get same error.

In this portion of the log you put here, something is being blocked.

• 7. Re: Installing 8.7 and menus are grayed out

i turned off access protection. Ran the agent "Check for new policies" and it didn't do much just a few open, look, didn't find much, close connection. Then i clicked enfore policy and it turns access protection back on. The menu items are still grayed out and still have the red !.

• 8. Re: Installing 8.7 and menus are grayed out

After that last post, i though maybe the server was over-riding something, so i made some temp changes to see if i could get the problem fixed. Doesn't seem to be helping.

• 9. Re: Installing 8.7 and menus are grayed out
                          secured2k

I'm just browsing through, but I recall an option somewhere in the VSE Client options to disable the UI (and it may not be in the "Access Protection" section). This could also happen if there is a password applied to the client. Finally, if the McAfee Common Framework/Agent are damaged somehow, problems with the VSE UI could show up... but usually there are other symptoms and error messages.

1 2 Previous Next