9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2010 6:01 AM by paul9408

Replication to Agent Handlers

Just a question from this newbe

ePO server 4.5

Agent 4.0.0.1494

4 servers are Agent Handlers

Repositories on all 4 are different, no 2 are the same.

How does an Agent Handler get its repository after is has been installed?

Is there a server task i can edit? Is it done automatically after a Master Repository update?

Thanks in advance..

• 1. Re: Replication to Agent Handlers
          dilipkhanolkar

It takes it from the client tasks for the said agent handler

• 2. Re: Replication to Agent Handlers
            JoeBidgood

Hi...

An agent handler is not a repository.  If a client machine assigned to an agent handler tries to update from the master repository, the the AH will request the file from the actual master repository and will cache it locally, but that's as far as it goes.

AHs are not a replacement for distributed repositories - if you want a true distributed repository environment you'll ned to set up distributed repos and configure replication tasks to keep them up to date.

Regards -

Joe

• 3. Re: Replication to Agent Handlers
              dilipkhanolkar

Agent handler & distributed repository if both are on the same machine thats the best thing that you can get.

• 4. Re: Replication to Agent Handlers
                JoeBidgood

That's assuming you actually need an agent handler in the first place   Quite of lot of people think that an AH is a new type of distributed repository, which it isn't - its purpose is to provide scalability, failover, and support for NAT environments.

Regards -

Joe

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Replication to Agent Handlers

Well, thats overdoing it i think. If it's a distributed repository, clients would allready be going there to get their updates, whats the use of the agent handler here?

Agent asks Agent Handler for latest DAT. AH hasn't got it, retrieves it from ePO server, caches it, and passes it to agent. Next agent will be lucky and gets it straight away.

Agent asks distributed repo for latest DAT, repo has it (has been synched at night) and passes it to agent.

I would go for one or the other...

No NAT in my environment.

Think i'll change from AH to distributed repo

• 6. Re: Replication to Agent Handlers

So distributed Repository would be a better solution?

You would have more grip on the situation it seems.

But what about promoting the agent on an server to superagent?

An SA is a repository, easier to accomplish also than a share somewhere.

• 7. Re: Replication to Agent Handlers
                      JoeBidgood

It depends on your environment, of course, but for most people the "classic" 'single server with distributed repos' model is probably the best option. Unless you definitely need the functionality provided by an AH, then you shouldn't need them.

Remember that an AH is going to require a permanent, high-bandwidth connection to the SQL server, so it is *definitely not* what something you should be deploying at the end of a slow / narrow link.

Regards -

Joe

• 8. Re: Replication to Agent Handlers
                        JoeBidgood

Missed the second part of your question

An SA is not automatically a repository, but I would imagine that that's what the mojority of people use them for. They have the advantage of not requiring you to configure authentication, so you avoid some of the problems associated with, for example, UNC repos. (The most common one is that without telling you the sysadmin changes the password for the account used to access the UNC shares, so all of your updates start failing )

Regards -

Joe

• 9. Re: Replication to Agent Handlers

Thanks Joe, that was very helpfull.

I'm going to make a superagent on every location..