5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2010 9:06 AM by drewdown

Help with EPO and VSE8.5...slow to push

I have had this up and working for the most part.  Up until recently it seems to be taking forever to push the vse8.5 install after the mcafee agent gets installed.  I have a task configured to install the vse immediately but it doesn't seem to be working.

Seems like it takes a couple hours at least for it to install.

Anywhere I can look for logs or some information as to what the problem is?

• 1. Re: Help with EPO and VSE8.5...slow to push
          JoeBidgood

How often are the agents set to talk to the ePO server? What may be happening is this - when the agent is installed, it doesn't have any tasks assigned, and only the default policies. It will collect the policies and tasks assigned to it when it contacts the server - but if your agent-to-server communication interval (or ASCI) is set to, say, three hours, then it can take that long before the agent gets the task and installs the relevant products.

If the task is set to run immediately, you can speed things up by sending a wakeup call to the machine after the agent has been installed - that tells it to contact the server immediately, rather than wait for the next scheduled time.

HTH -

Regards,

Joe

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Help with EPO and VSE8.5...slow to push

Thanks Joe.

I figured it out, since we image the laptops they are automatically joined to the domain with a random name.  I change the name to match the user and it appears that in the time between the machine originally joined to the domain and when I rename it the agent gets installed.  So in EPO it shows the new name but it never populates with the VSE agent.   I cleared the agentGUI and EPO successfully re-installed the macafee agent and subsequently the VSE agent as well.

• 3. Re: Help with EPO and VSE8.5...slow to push
              JoeBidgood

Glad it's sorted

Does the image used to build the laptops have an agent installed on it? If so - apologies if you already know this - but please make sure that you have removed the AgentGUID registry value from the image, otherwise you will end up with a duplicate GUID situation. With the advent of ePO 4 patch 5 and ePO 4.5, this isn't as serious as it used to be, but it can still be annoying

Regards -

Joe

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Help with EPO and VSE8.5...slow to push

No they do not.  Before I created the image I removed it, therefore when its imaged and joined the domain AND moved into the proper OU it receives a new one.  Obviously I need to rename it before I move it into the correct OU.  Base 'Computers' OU doesn't have an agent install policy.

Thanks again for your help.

• 5. Re: Help with EPO and VSE8.5...slow to push
                  JoeBidgood

That' fine then - you shouldn't have any problems

Regards -

Joe