1 2 Previous Next 11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2010 11:30 AM by Peter M

ALERT- No help from McAfee

I went to the website (paintingsandjewelry.com) and it threw my laptop into a tizzy. Getting spyware (INTERNET SECURITY UPDATES) and a worm Win32.  All of my McAfee security says I am protected and I have ran two full scans with nothing detected.  But windows will not update and shows a warning.  I went to McAfee for help and was told that as soon as I paid $90 they would surely be able to help me. What a crock.  I had this situation one time before and using the chat service they took over the computer and corrected the problem, WITH NO FEES...

• 1. Re: ALERT- No help from McAfee
          Peter M

There are infections that any anti-virus application wont detect, that's why there are other tools available.   It's pretty normal for Technical Support people to direct customers to paid virus removal, that would also happen with Norton, NOD, etc. etc.

If they gave you it free once then you were lucky.

Download, update and run the free version of this tool: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php.  Let it remove anything it finds and reboot when asked to.

Meanwhile be extra careful where you surf and what you click on or download and always keep Windows and all the installed software totally up to date at all times.

• 2. Re: ALERT- No help from McAfee

The Malware Bytes site is a good tip. I just used their free MBAM to eliminate "Malware Defense" from my computer yesterday. Sunday afternoon my VirusScan Plus was downloading in my tooltray and when the install icon began it continued running for several hours.

Sunday evening my computer was hijacked by the rogue program "Malware Defense"... I don't know where it came from or how it got in, but it did and once there it disabled my McAfee Security Center (couldn't access it or run a scan), disabled my IE and Firefox browsers and began getting constant ALERTS, of viruses, trogans, worms and that my personal info was compromised. It also added numerous shortcuts to my desktop... as well as installing "Malware Defense" as my default security. The Internet Explorer & Firefox prompts (It has a problem and needs to close) and virus/trojan/worm etc. alerts continued and Microsoft alerts too. Argh! I was going nuts...

I opened an old Netscape Browser that still worked, googled Malware Defense and found the step by step instructions including links to Malware Bytes'  free removal files. I read their directions twice (dodging all the alerts that kept popping up) and gave it a shot. Fortunately the Netscape browser allowed me to do the necessary downloads to complete the process... and this malicious BS is now out of my OS.

The removal guide I used can be found here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-malware-defense

Good Luck.

on 1/12/10 11:04:35 PM CST
            • 3. Re: ALERT- No help from McAfee
              Peter M

arthead wrote:

The Malware Bytes site is a good tip. I just used their free MBAM to eliminate "Malware Defense" from my computer yesterday. Sunday afternoon my VirusScan Plus was downloading in my tooltray and when the install icon began it continued running for several hours.

Sunday evening my computer was hijacked by the rogue program "Malware Defense"... I don't know where it came from or how it got in, but it did and once there it disabled my McAfee Security Center (couldn't access it or run a scan), disabled my IE and Firefox browsers and began getting constant ALERTS, of viruses, trogans, worms and that my personal info was compromised. It also added numerous shortcuts to my desktop... as well as installing "Malware Defense" as my default security. The Internet Explorer & Firefox prompts (It has a problem and needs to close) and virus/trojan/worm etc. alerts continued and Microsoft alerts too. Argh! I was going nuts...

I opened an old Netscape Browser that still worked, googled Malware Defense and found the step by step instructions including links to Malware Bytes'  free removal files. I read their directions twice (dodging all the alerts that kept popping up) and gave it a shot. Fortunately the Netscape browser allowed me to do the necessary downloads to complete the process... and this malicious BS is now out of my OS.

The removal guide I used can be found here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-malware-defense

Good Luck.

on 1/12/10 11:04:35 PM CST

Glad you are OK.

• 4. Re: ALERT- No help from McAfee

Thanks Peter.... yeah, me too, it definitely had me freaking out. I do believe all the "Virus Alerts" etc. I was receiving were bogus and am pleased to say everything seems to be OK and running normally now. I'm 65% through a full scan (it has detected 1 item and quarantined it) and I'll probably update and run the MBAM again as well.

• 5. Re: ALERT- No help from McAfee
                  Peter M

Good luck.

• 6. Re: ALERT- No help from McAfee

Thank all of you for your help.  I ran the programs and hopefully removed all of the Malware.  What a pain!

• 7. Re: ALERT- No help from McAfee
                      Peter M

I agree.  None of us enjoy the experience.  All the best.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 15/01/10 8:11:46 EST PM
                      • 8. Re: ALERT- No help from McAfee

1) When I ran the VirusScan again it detected Artemis, which it quarantined.

I suppose that is OK because I have no idea how to delete it from there.

2) Now that my OS seems to be fine... I ran another full scan of MBAM, which takes about 2 hours, and it detected and deleted four infected files.

I recommend doing a second full scan with the anti-malware MBAM, just to see if anything else pops up. If you think there is a chance the malware you picked up could have in any way corrupted your MBAM (?) then download a fresh copy, install it... click the UPDATE and run it again.

on 1/15/10 7:00:03 PM CST
                        • 9. Re: ALERT- No help from McAfee
                          Peter M

It will be held in the quarantine folder where you can remove it from the system if you wish.

Double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter

Click Advanced Menu (bottom)

Click Restore (left)

Click Files (top left)

It should be listed at the right with options at bottom right.

Artemis is explained here: http://community.mcafee.com/message/98519#98519

and if you think it is a false detection here are some tips: http://community.mcafee.com/message/6645#6645

1 2 Previous Next