1 2 3 Previous Next 82 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2010 7:59 AM by rmetzger

Can't send email

I can't send email from outlook 2003. Microsoft techs say it is the virus protection, because all settings are correct, and when system is starte in safe mode, we can send and receive. When not in safe mode, any outgoing message gets hung up in outgoing mail and keeps trying to send after giving several error codes. Can someone assist? Thanks.

• 1. Re: Can't send email
          Attila Polinger

Hi,

if you have VirusScan Enteprrise 8.x installed on the host that you use to send mail with outlook, then check VirusScan Access Protection log, whether it contains an entry for blocking mail traffic.

Try sending the mail again and if VirusScan blocked it, the VirusScan tray icon should have a red frame around it. In this state, right click on it and select View Access Protection Log from the sub menu.

Go to the last line of the log and see what is the process name that VirusScan has blocked. The log structure looks like this:

(date) (time) (message /blocked or would be blocked/ ) (offending username) (offending process name) (target file, registry, etc. name) (rule name that triggered) (action taken)

The rule name should be "Prevent mas mailing worms from sending mail" if VirusScan has blocked anything trying to send mail. In this case the offending process name (with or without path) should be added as an exception to this rule.

This rule can be found in "Antivirus Standard Protection" group.

If VirusScan tray icon does not get a red square around it when you send the mail, then VirusScan does not block sending.

HTH

Attila

• 2. Re: Can't send email

Attila,

You have solved the mystery that no one to date has been able to solve. This includes the Microsoft tech support, numerous tech blogs, and McAfee technical support. Thank you very much as I have spent the last 3 days trying to fix this problem.

• 3. Re: Can't send email

For full information, please refer to KnowledgeBase article KB50707 - VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i or 8.7 Access Protection rule blocks outbound SMTP mail on Port 25

HTH

• 4. Re: Can't send email

Thanks for the great information.

• 5. Re: Can't send email

One other issue related to the "sending email" problem. It appears that, after a period of time, the viruscan program seems to reset itself and start blocking the sending of email again. I go in according to the instructions in the knowledgebase KB50707 to exclude Outlook.exe, but after a period of time it appears to go back to the original setting. Am I missing a step? Thanks.

• 6. Re: Can't send email
                    Attila Polinger

One thing I could think of which could result in VirusScan resetting itself would be when VirusScan were managed by ePO and the policies would overwrite your manual configuration.

But I think normally outlook.exe is a default exclusion on the mentioned AP rule, so I could only imagine an incorrect policy missing this exclusion that is being enforced.

If you have time please check if outlook.exe is still on the exclusion list. If not, check if the host is managed (by looking at http://localhost:8081 for example, in a browser) and if so, contact your ePO administrator to see if your policy is incorrect in this respect.

If outlook.exe is on the exclusion list, then wheter or not the host is managed, check sending again and when VirusScan blocks sending, check AP log which is the process again, the add that to the exclusions if necessary.

A rare condition could be that if your host is managed, outlook.exe is on the exclusion list, but your ePO agent can't enforce the policy because of something. In this case, the agent debug log, which is accessible from the URL above, may contain errors in this respect.

• 7. Re: Can't send email

I have to show my ignorance here, but what is an ePO? As an fyi, I followed the instructions and excluded Outlook.exe and re-checked it several times last night and everything was good. When I logged on a minute ago, the exclusion was gone and I had to exclude it again. I did notice something about "Auto Update Properties" that supposedly takes place every day at 1:00AM. Could this have anything to do with  the problem? Thanks.

• 8. Re: Can't send email

My last suggestion is obviously not the answer, because I just checked again, and the exclusion was gone again. I might add this is the only exclusion. When it resets, the exclusion box is empty.

• 9. Re: Can't send email
                          rmetzger

SG1952 wrote:

I have to show my ignorance here, but what is an ePO? As an fyi, I followed the instructions and excluded Outlook.exe and re-checked it several times last night and everything was good. When I logged on a minute ago, the exclusion was gone and I had to exclude it again. I did notice something about "Auto Update Properties" that supposedly takes place every day at 1:00AM. Could this have anything to do with  the problem? Thanks.

ePO = ePolicy Orchestrator. A program on a 'server' on your local network set up to administrate McAfee products to the local network machines. This would include products like VSE and HIPS, as well as other products. The point of ePO is to centrally manage the adherence of Policies related to security on the local network PCs. One such policy may be set by the security administrator to establish the 'exclusions' that you manually changed for Outlook.exe. Periodically, the ePO server will push the policies that are defined (for your PC at least) resetting them to that which the security administrator established. Depending on the settings for the policies, the timeframe between resets varies.

My guess is that if ePO is in place, then you need to talk to your security/network administrator who has established the policy that is causing the changes you are experiencing.

Ron Metzger

1 2 3 Previous Next