Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
10464 Views 23 Replies Latest reply: Jul 29, 2013 3:52 AM by ynod RSS 1 2 3 Previous Next
Mindcrime Apprentice 119 posts since
Jan 10, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 5, 2010 3:49 PM

Trouble blocking SD chips?

I'm having some issues getting SD chips blocked in the device management section. I'm able to successfully block other types of removable storage, but I can't get a policy working in the removable storage or P&P sections to work that successfully block FAT16/32 based SD chips. Anyone have any ideas I could try?

EDIT: Also, I'm trying to use some pretty general definitions so I don't have to go in and specify exact models or manufacturers of chips.

Message was edited by: Mindcrime on 1/5/10 3:49:07 PM GMT-06:00
  • jstanley McAfee SME 366 posts since
    Nov 6, 2009
    1. Jan 6, 2010 9:36 AM (in response to Mindcrime)
    Re: Trouble blocking SD chips?

The following info would be helpful:

• Are you using a tag-based rule or a straight-forward blocking rule?
    • What kind of protection rule are you using? Mass storage device or PnP?
    • Do these chips show up with an associated drive letter or do they just appear in "My Computer" as a device?
    • How are you defining these chips? (partial VID? Device Class? etc)

Thanks!

Message was edited by: Jeremy Stanley on 1/6/10 9:36:36 AM CST
    Nov 6, 2009
    3. Jan 6, 2010 12:32 PM (in response to Mindcrime)

Do these chips show up with an associated drive letter or do they just appear in "My Computer" as a device?

Both, no different than any other device, USB or otherwise.

This point is critical. Not all devices that you can copy files to show up in "My Computer" with an associated drive letter (iPods for example do not). Mass storage device rules will not work unless the device has a drive letter assignment. If the device does have a drive letter assignment and it a mass storage device rule will not work then that particular device is not being recognized as a mass storage device for some reason. I'd have to have more details on exactly how the device appears in device manager to figure out why exactly that is.

Nov 6, 2009
    5. Jan 6, 2010 12:44 PM (in response to Mindcrime)

Then it must not be recognized as a mass storage device for some reason. When you plug the device in where does it appear in device manager? The flash drive I use to test with for example shows up under the Disk drives section in device manager which is odd because their is technically no disk involved

Message was edited by: Jeremy Stanley on 1/6/10 12:43:52 PM CST

Message was edited by: Jeremy Stanley on 1/6/10 12:44:13 PM CST
  • SafeBoot Group Leader 8,599 posts since
    Oct 28, 2008
    7. Jan 6, 2010 2:37 PM (in response to Mindcrime)

It's interesting to note - what exactly were you plugging it into?

I imagine you have an SD slot on your laptop or something - remember, an SD card is most certainly not a USB storage device, the two are very different things indeed. The SD device on your laptop is always there, it, like a floppy disk of old, just does not have media in it sometimes.

confusing I know, and yes, you may rightly claim that it's the software's problem not yours to work this out, but perhaps it makes it clearer why things are not working the way you expect.

Heisenberg is pulled over for speeding: “Do you know how fast you were going?” the police officer asks, incredulously. “No,” replies Heisenberg, “but I know exactly where I am!”
    Personal Blog : http://mcaf.ee/simon | Corporate Blog : http://SIBlog.mcafee.com | Create your own safe, short URL's - http://mcaf.ee

Nov 6, 2009
    9. Jan 6, 2010 2:45 PM (in response to Mindcrime)

I do apologize I thought you meant it showed up under "Portable devices" in "My Computer" my mistake. I suspect that is why the mass storage device rule is not detecting the device. Well to be clear if a simply defined mass storage device rule is not blocking the device but a similarly defined PnP rule is then that is going to be the case I was just trying to figure out exactly why we were not detecting this device as a mass storage device.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points