1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 5, 2010 4:02 PM by SamSwift

unable to load sshnas.dll.  Module not found error.  How do I get rid of it?

McAfee let a virus infect my computer.  The irritating thing is the software picked up the virus, identified it and notified me of it.  I thought I was ok but I started to get the above error on initial boot-up and odd internet pop-ups all the time.  Even when I did not have the internet browser started.  It does not use my firefox but it does use the microsoft stock browser.

I contacted McAfee and they apologized and stated they had protected me from other viruses.  They recommended I run a complete scan and then referred me to their paid virus removal site.  I ran teh complete scan and the software identified two files and "quarrantined them.  Again I thought I was okay, but the errro keeps popping up on initial boot-up and the internet pop-ups continue to happen.  I was again referred to freefixer and downloaded their removal tool but it does not support 64 bit systems.

Any suggestions and I have already tried to delete those two files after the McAfee quarrantine didn't work but no matter how often I delete them they come back after a period of time fro 5 seconds to 10 minutes.  \

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

• 1. Re: unable to load sshnas.dll.  Module not found error.  How do I get rid of it?
          SamSwift

Hi,

Can you try running Stinger with Artemis enabled on very high and in report only mode please - then post the report back up here and we'll take a look. Here's how:

McAfee Labs Stinger

Stinger is a stand-alone utility used to detect and remove specific viruses. It is not a substitute for full anti-virus protection, but rather a tool to assist administrators and users when dealing with an infected system. Stinger utilizes next generation scan engine technology, including process scanning, digitally signed DAT files, and scan performance optimizations.

How do I use Stinger?

1. Download v10.0.1.688 [5,207,047 bytes] (11/23/2009)
          2. This version of Stinger includes detection for all known variants, as of November 23rd, 2009:
          3. Detects and removes threats identified here
          4. When prompted, choose to save the file to a convenient location on your hard disk (such as your Desktop folder).

5. When the download is complete, navigate to the folder that contains the downloaded Stinger file, and run it. WindowsME/XP/Vista users read this first.

6. The Stinger interface will be displayed.

7. If necessary, click the Add or Browse button to add additional drives/directories to scan. By default the C: drive will be scanned.
          8. To enable Artemis Technology in stinger click on preferences and then select the required sensitivity level. If you select "High" or "Very High" McAfee Labs recommends that you set the "On virus detection" action to "Report only" for the first scan
          9. Click the Scan Now button to begin scanning the specified drives/directories. 

To learn more about Artemis see the following KB articles

KB53735 - How does McAfee Artemis technology improve malware detection

KB60224 - Artemis and your information

KB65525 - Artemis Detections and submitting samples

Cheers,

Sam

Message was edited by: Samantha Price on 1/5/10 4:02:10 PM CST