I am having a severe performance problem when I try to load either Firefox or IE7 and was wondering if anyone can provide some HELP – perhaps having had a similar problem. It started as soon as I upgraded to McAfee Total Protection 2010.
The facts follow…
System: A Dell Latitude D400 running Windows XP Pro with 512MB RAM
First Occurrence: Immediately after I upgraded to McAfee Total Protection 2010
What Happens: Upon trying to load Firefox or IE7 our Dell D400 just waits & waits & waits etc……
- No disk activity shows
- Task Manager shows no looping (System Idle Process = 95-97 % )
- EVENTUALLY (after waiting from 10 -15 minutes & sometimes more) the screen display becomes complete.
- Other applications refresh the screen quickly
- E-mail downloads mail at a normal speed ( i.e. same as prior to this problem)
- If any link needing browser action is clicked on in the e-mail, the wait, wait, wait behavior is exhibited. It is so bad that we cannot function reasonably where Firefox or IE7 is required to open a page.
- Occasionally when the ‘wait’ing is happening, if you grab a window by it’s title bar and move the window, it leaves a solid trail of the outline of that window. This seems to imply that the video refresh is waiting for whatever the browser is waiting for.
- NOTE: Windows XP provides a ‘System Summary’. When I looked under System Summary > Software Environment > Windows Error Reporting, I noticed 2 different Error Types
o 1) Application Hang with the Detail ‘Fault Bucket’ with Detail (1545157916.
o 2) Application Hang with the Detail ‘Hanging application firefox.exe (or iexplore.exe) version …., hang module hungapp version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.
- Defragged entire Hard Drive
- Uninstalled and reinstalled McAfee Total Protection, Firefox and Internet Explorer 7 two times. (Still no improvement in the speed of displaying Browser screens).
- Other apps (Word, Outlook etc) display pages very responsively.
Observations / Theories:
- iexplorer.exe and firefox.exe both seem to be just hanging with no good reason.
- Would rebuilding pagefile help (how does one do this)?
Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.