9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2010 6:14 AM by Peter M

SystemSecurity possible malware popup

I've started getting what appears to be an Internet Explorer popup that says SystemSecurity has detected viruses and is conducting a system scan.  It is next to impossible to shut down and I try to stop it from running.  It then starts what appears to be a system scan with an image similar to My Computer & scrolling files with multiple viruses being recorded.  I don't believe any of it.  I have McAfee Security Center and keep it fully updated and available.  I can't find a file named SystemSecurity.  Why isn't McAfee identifying this thing and how do I get rid of it.  I searched the Internet & found a site that says SystemSecurity is malware & I need to download their free anti-malware program to get rid of it.  I don't trust that solution either.  Can you help?

So far, it doesn't seem to be stopping anything on my system, but it is nerve-racking.

• 1. Re: SystemSecurity possible malware popup
          Peter M

Moved to Malware Discussion.   The removal guide for this here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-system-security

Scroll down the page as the first links you see are paid advertising.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: SystemSecurity possible malware popup

Thank you for the quick response.  Are you affiliated with McAfee and can you tell me where this thing came from?

• 3. Re: SystemSecurity possible malware popup
              Peter M

I am not affiliated with McAfee except in that I volunteer here, as my signature states, and have done for years.   Bleeping Computer is a well known authority on lots of puzzling and weird malware and fakeware.

If you mean where did the infection come from then I have no idea.

• 4. Re: SystemSecurity possible malware popup

Thank you for the quick response. I have one more related question.  Since it appears this malware has been bothering people for a while, and has done some horrible things to folks' computers when they've believed it, why doesn't McAfee have a way to identify and remove it?  Thank you for your patience.

• 5. Re: SystemSecurity possible malware popup
                  Peter M

Regular antivirus has difficulty recognizing these sort of things as they aren't really infections, but rogues.  It's up to the user to be alert and to realise that he/she doesn't even have that software installed in the first place even on a trial basis, so why does one suddenly have to purchase something?

Malwarebytes and those other free anti-spyware applications are geared differently so they recognize these things.   They would have problems detecting a lot of stuff that McAfee detects.

The web is a dangerous place and one has to be really careful.

• 6. Re: SystemSecurity possible malware popup

I, too, have been victim of this fraudulent software technique.  I didn't take it lightly.  There was no contact information, except an e-mail address.  I found their FAQ page and there were four questions.  Two asked what to do about overcharging (I was charged $109 for the software) and one asked what to do about multiple charging.  The fourth was "how do I take this thing off"...  Sort of says it all!

I wrote to the support address (support@open-davinci.com) five times and in return I received an automatic reply on how to install the software, even though I told them the software caused numerous problems to my computer, changed my desktop, etc.  I finally got adamant about reporting them to my Credit Union (God Bless them) and having them and VISA fight this for me.

Today I was finally able to call the Credit Union (holidays and weekends) and check my credit card account.  I was charged $109 on the day I purchased the software ($49.95 was the actual charge), but the amount was credited back in two days.  I guess my threats were taken seriously.  They still haven't confirmed that they were not charging me via e-mail, as I requested.

I, of course, cancelled the VISA and ordered a new one.  Even if they have given me my money back, they have my credit information and can do a  lot of damage.

To answer another bloggers question, my Credit Union supplied me with this information:  No phone number (surprise), the company who charged the amount was Cool-Erase.com, and the charges originated in Riga, Latvia.

I hope this helps someone.  It took me a week to get it all sorted out!

Message was edited by: fixedit on 1/4/10 9:16:29 PM CST
                    • 7. Re: SystemSecurity possible malware popup

Wow, your patience is amazing and appreciated. I hope this thread sticks around for a while so other folks can also be helped by your responses.  I think this nasty code is affecting a lot of folks.  Thank you.

• 8. Re: SystemSecurity possible malware popup

Peter,

You have really earned that Yoda avatar!  I never allowed the "systemsecurity" (not McAfee) scan to finish.  Yet, yesterday I got a new red and white cross icon in my corner taskbar that kept popping up a message that Windows found a virus & needs to download a fix. In addition, I got a popup that stayed on top of the desktop with a similar message, asking me to select OK to download something called IDS software.

I downloaded Malwarebytes and it seems to have found and now removed several 'infected' files. Both the corner icon and the screen popup are gone.  Darn, I may buy the full version from the company just to say thanks.

Thank you, very much.

Gail

• 9. Re: SystemSecurity possible malware popup
                          Peter M

Fail,

Glad to hear that you nipped it in the bud, so to speak.  Good luck.