4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2010 5:57 PM by Gatorman89

McAfee Security window won't stay open

Hello,

I have a Windows XP Media Center, 2GB RAM, Single Core, and have just downloaded and installed the McAfee Internet Security from the Bank of America website (free use for 1 year).  I typically use Firefox as my web browser, Spyware Terminator and SuperAntiSpyware as the additional security products on my computer.

After the McAfee download and install, everything worked fine for a few days, however, for the last 2 days, I've been unable to open the McAfee Security Center window, run a scan or update the product.  I have also received no alerts from McAfee product or the Windows Alert that tells you that there is a problem with your firewall or antivirus or that they are not running.

I have not uninstalled/re-installed the product as yet.  That is next on my list, however,I wanted to try this forum first.

I was also unsuccessful in finding anything on the internet concerning this topic.

Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: McAfee Security window won't stay open
          Dinz

Hi,

Thanks for providing all the required information,

Have you ran the Mcafee virtual Technician , If not run it from http://mvt.mcafee.com and post the session id , so that I could review the installed files and keep you updated on it.

Moving thread to security center 9 – 2009

Regards,
          Dinesh K

Message was edited by: Dinz on 12/30/09 7:31:57 AM GMT-06:00
          • 2. Re: McAfee Security window won't stay open

Many thanks for your quick response.

I'm currently at work, so I won't be able to run the Virtual Technician until I get back home this afternoon.

I'll let you know as soon as I run the Virtual Technician and get the info.

Again thanks.

• 3. Re: McAfee Security window won't stay open
              Dinz

Hi,

Are you still facing the issue with McAfee, If so please let us know , so that we could help you.

Regards,

Dinesh K

• 4. Re: McAfee Security window won't stay open

Thanks for the follow-up.  I just got in from work.  I tried the McAfee Technical software you told me about, but it too didn't work.

I had been meaning to reformat my hard drive.  I did, and I was able to successfully install McAfee Internet Security.  So far everything is working great - am pleased.

On another issue.  I ran a root detection software (not McAfee) over the weekend (McAfee was also running) and discovered 3 hits on the rootkit scan.  When I ran a full McAfee Scan right after that, those 3 rootkits were discovered and deleted by McAfee.  However, when I checked the McAfee log (below), I've discovered that the same 3 rootkits have been repeatedly detected and either quarantened or deleted.  My question is, are the rootkits self replicating and reappearing?  If so, how can I permanently get rid of them.  I've attached a screen shot of the McAfee Detection Log from today.  The files are the "Generic Pup.x "  and   "RemADm-Pskill" that keep on appearing in the "Detection Name" column on the 3rd, 6th, 9th and 10th of January..

Any ideas???

Again Many thanks for everything.