Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
25173 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2010 1:45 AM by muho RSS 1 2 Previous Next
wolfman099 Newcomer 9 posts since
Nov 5, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 29, 2009 9:00 AM

Mcafee 8.7 Upgrade Extend.dat issue

I am currently running ePO 4.0 patch 6 with Mcafee 8.5 on about 5000 nodes.  I started piloting 8.7 in 2 sites with about 200 clients each.  Our clients are all running XP with Office 2003 SP3.  We do have some Office 2007 installations out there as well.

In one of my sites, I had quite a few experiencing the following error when launching Outlook:

The Add-in "Outlook Scan" (C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\Scanotlkl.dll) cannot be loaded and has been disabled by Outlook. Please contact the Add-in manufacturer for an update. If no update is available, please uninstall the Add-in.

I have reviewed KB57977, but I don't like any of their solutions.  The main issue is that Outlook needs to be closed and the deletion of extend.dat can only be done AFTER the install of 8.7. 

I am running Ironmail on the front end and then have Groupshield on all of my Exchange servers.  I'm thinking that the Outlook scanner might not be neccessary.  I have never used Installation Designer, but I did install it and noticed an option to not install the Microsoft Outlook Email Scan.  If I skip this install during my upgrade, will this prevent the extend.dat error from occuring? I cannot reproduce the problem myself, so I have no way of testing. 

I'd rather not have the option at all if it is going to cause problems.  I wish MS and Mcafee could figure out a better way.  I know that SP3 is supposed to fix this issue, but it doesn't appear to.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to respond! 

• dmeier McAfee SME 100 posts since
    Nov 3, 2009
    1. Dec 29, 2009 10:50 AM (in response to wolfman099)
    Re: Mcafee 8.7 Upgrade Extend.dat issue

Certainly you should decide if you should use the email scanner in your environment, and take the appropriate action.  However, in an upgrade situation, I'm concernced that the error won't be easily avoided, because of the way that Microsoft uses the extend.dat to cache add-in information.

You and I are both about to discover the boundaries of this forum, as I have a superdat that can be rolled out via ePO, that will remove all extend.dat files from a system.  (not to worry, Outlook will recreate these files as needed, and with updated information), so we'll see if this level of sharing is permitted

So, here it is, please test it out on a few systems first, make sure it behaves as expected. And then, once you are comfortable, you can add it into ePO, and deploy to any systems necessary.  Without some detail information about your systems. Like version information, and upgrade path, and such, I'm can't confidentaly say you should roll this out before, or after your upgrade, so you'll want to run some pilot installs, to ensure the timing is proper for your situation.  However, remember that an sdat can only be ran once on a system.  If you need it to run again, you'll need to remove it from the ePO repository, and add it back in.  This will allow it to run on systems a second time.

Let us know how it goes,

- David

Attachments:
  • rmetzger Champion 566 posts since
    Jan 4, 2005
    2. Dec 29, 2009 2:00 PM (in response to wolfman099)

wolfman099 wrote:

I am currently running ePO 4.0 patch 6 with Mcafee 8.5 on about 5000 nodes.  I started piloting 8.7 in 2 sites with about 200 clients each.  Our clients are all running XP with Office 2003 SP3.  We do have some Office 2007 installations out there as well.

In one of my sites, I had quite a few experiencing the following error when launching Outlook:

The Add-in "Outlook Scan" (C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\Scanotlkl.dll) cannot be loaded and has been disabled by Outlook. Please contact the Add-in manufacturer for an update. If no update is available, please uninstall the Add-in.

I have reviewed KB57977, but I don't like any of their solutions.  The main issue is that Outlook needs to be closed and the deletion of extend.dat can only be done AFTER the install of 8.7. 

I am running Ironmail on the front end and then have Groupshield on all of my Exchange servers.  I'm thinking that the Outlook scanner might not be neccessary.  I have never used Installation Designer, but I did install it and noticed an option to not install the Microsoft Outlook Email Scan.  If I skip this install during my upgrade, will this prevent the extend.dat error from occuring? I cannot reproduce the problem myself, so I have no way of testing. 

I'd rather not have the option at all if it is going to cause problems.  I wish MS and Mcafee could figure out a better way.  I know that SP3 is supposed to fix this issue, but it doesn't appear to.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to respond! 

David Meier] wrote:

Certainly you should decide if you should use the email scanner in your environment, and take the appropriate action.  However, in an upgrade situation, I'm concernced that the error won't be easily avoided, because of the way that Microsoft uses the extend.dat to cache add-in information.

You and I are both about to discover the boundaries of this forum, as I have a superdat that can be rolled out via ePO, that will remove all extend.dat files from a system.  (not to worry, Outlook will recreate these files as needed, and with updated information), so we'll see if this level of sharing is permitted

So, here it is, please test it out on a few systems first, make sure it behaves as expected. And then, once you are comfortable, you can add it into ePO, and deploy to any systems necessary.  Without some detail information about your systems. Like version information, and upgrade path, and such, I'm can't confidentaly say you should roll this out before, or after your upgrade, so you'll want to run some pilot installs, to ensure the timing is proper for your situation.  However, remember that an sdat can only be ran once on a system.  If you need it to run again, you'll need to remove it from the ePO repository, and add it back in.  This will allow it to run on systems a second time.

Let us know how it goes,

- David

Attachments:

This problem has been discussed many times here. (Search for Extend.dat.) Outlook likes to cache the add-ons in the Extend.Dat file. Deleting Extend.Dat does no harm as the next time Outlook is opened, Outlook simply creates a new copy. Unfortunately, Outlook cannot be running when the deletion is attempted.

To that end, I have successfully deleted the Extend.Dat file as part of the 'upgrade' process. I usually install VSE as part of a batch file. After the VSE setup is run, I follow up with the deletion of Extend.Dat. In order to clean up multiple users (profiles) I use a command like this:

del /f /s /q "%UserProfile%\..\Extend.dat"

Note that this command deletes Extend.Dat from multiple user (profile) directories to which the logged in user has sufficient rights.

ePO can be used to upgrade VSE. Yes, a MID version can be constructed to install VSE without the email scanner Add-on. But even if you upgrade successfully from ePO, the Extend.Dat file may still list the old add-on which still needs to be removed. Given this Outlook weakness, I have concerns that this is not always the best approach.

Can you install (anything) in ePO using a Batch File as the command? Concerns: What is the current directory when the batch file is called? Are there differences between the way ePO would call the batch file for x86 vs. x64 systems? What are the 'rights' given the installer ePO uses when executing a batch file? (Does ePO impersonate 'Adminstrator' or is this done as 'System'?) What about UAC? Can ePO lanuched batch file ensure Outlook is Not running during this batch file run? I have about 1000 more questions that I would want answered before I would attempt anything on the scale of 5,000 nodes.

As David Meier suggested, you could run a special SDat executable, though this has it's limitations as well. He also suggested a VBS script that has been compiled and could be run as well, to delete Extend.dat. Though, I have an Auditor who would put the nix on that, since I do not have the source code and cannot verify All actions it is taking. (It seems all good intentions never go unpunished.)

That said, I might suggest a simpler approach. Delete Extend.Dat from a Login Script (thereby ensuring Outlook is not running). Continue this until you can be reasonably sure that each PC and User ID has had ample time to run the login script. I have seen no downsides to this approach thus far.

del /f /s /q "%UserProfile%\Extend.dat"

This command works only on the individual users profile.

As you may see, it may make sense to attempt this via a login script or PS Exec command. (Mark Rusinovich's / SysInternals remote execution utility.)

Have fun.

Ron Metzger

Jan 4, 2005
    6. Feb 19, 2010 10:18 AM (in response to wolfman099)

wolfman099 wrote:

My deployment for 8.7 is in the 3300 range and things look good.  I did end up having a few people with the Outlook error.... I also found out that this is no longer an issue from ugprades from 8.7 to future versions.  So by me removing the outlook add-in for my install, I didn't actually save myself anything in the future.

Thanks for the reply. Glad things are working for you.

Have fun.

Ron Metzger

• erikg Newcomer 3 posts since
    Apr 30, 2010
    7. Apr 30, 2010 1:45 PM (in response to rmetzger)

You said "  Unfortunately, Outlook cannot be running when the deletion is attempted."

Can you elaborate on the risk of deleting the extend.dat with Outlook running ?

Thank you

Jan 4, 2005
    8. Apr 30, 2010 2:16 PM (in response to erikg)

Sure.

The deletion of Extend.Dat will fail. Outlook locks the file when Outlook is running. (At least user profile copy where Outlook is launched. Other copies of Extend.Dat in other user profile folders are likely to be unlocked.)

Does this help?

Ron Metzger

• erikg Newcomer 3 posts since
    Apr 30, 2010
    9. Apr 30, 2010 2:40 PM (in response to rmetzger)

thanks for the prompt reply.  I've done some preliminary testing using Outlook 2003, and the extend.dat file deleted.  Can you share what versions you found to lock the file ?

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points