6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2010 1:48 PM by asavani

Agent 4.5 Roaming Profile Problem

We're still using roaming profiles and just upgraded to McAfee Agent 4.5, now I get an error message when I log off.  Essentially, my roaming profile cannot be saved, because 4.5 has created a folder for log files that the user does not have access too.  Has anyone experienced this before?  I cannot find any info about this on the web.

C:\Documents and Settings\****UserId*****\Application Data\McAfee\Common Framework\DB\Support DLL\DebugTraceFiles\**********_debug_trace_file.txt

• 1. Re: Agent 4.5 Roaming Profile Problem
          jstanley

I'm not familiar with any issues related to MA 4.5 and roaming profiles. Doesn't mean they don't exist perhaps you are the first one to discover one.

Could you post the exact error you receive on log-off? Also do you have a corresponding error in the system or application event log? If so could you post that?

Thanks!

• 2. Re: Agent 4.5 Roaming Profile Problem

I did not see any errors in the Agent log file, or any of the other McAfee logs, but I did find the below errors in the Windows Event Viewer.  Both of these errors occur in the process of logging off.  I think its an error due to the user not having access to the log files and a related McAfee process retaining access to the files during the log off process.  I'm wondering why the files are being created in the profile of a logged on user rather than in the generic "All Users" profile.  This problem is precluding me from pushing 4.5 to the rest of my organization.  I'm not to worried about the second error, because I feel that it will go away once the first error is resolved.

1st Error:

Windows cannot copy file C:\Documents and Settings\****UserID****\Application Data\McAfee\Common Framework\DB\Support DLL\DebugTraceFiles to location \\****ProfileServer****\profiles$\****UserID****\Application Data\McAfee\Common Framework\DB\Support DLL\DebugTraceFiles. Possible causes of this error include network problems or insufficient security rights. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.

DETAIL - Access is denied.

2nd Error:

Windows cannot update your roaming profile. Possible causes of this error include network problems or insufficient security rights. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.

Content from from debugtracefile:  111111111111_debug_trace_file.txt

12/22/2009  6:42:20 PM -
            -------------------------------------------------
            McAfee Win32 GUI Support Library

Build date/time: Jun  3 2009 12:06:27

12/22/2009  6:42:20 PM - CLocalize::Load - ENTER
            12/22/2009  6:42:20 PM - CLocalize::Load - no registry-based override of LANGID
            12/22/2009  6:42:20 PM - CLocalize::Load - "GetUserDefaultLangID()" returned: "0409"
            12/22/2009  6:42:20 PM - CLocalize::Load - selected language resource file = "C:\Program Files\McAfee\Common Framework\0409\McTrayRes.dll"
            12/22/2009  6:42:20 PM - CLocalize::Load - EXIT
            12/22/2009  6:42:20 PM - McAfee Win32 GUI Support Library:""
            12/22/2009  6:42:20 PM - CMTSL_DllMain::Load(): exit
            12/22/2009  6:42:20 PM - CMTIL_DllMain::Load(): exit
            12/22/2009  6:42:20 PM - CMcTrayMenuUtils::EnableDisableFlyout - DISABLING "Quick Settings"
            12/22/2009  6:42:20 PM - CMcTrayMenuUtils::EnableDisableFlyout - DISABLING "Manage Features"
            12/22/2009  6:42:20 PM - CMcTrayMenuUtils::EnableDisableFlyout - DISABLING "Scan Computer for"
            12/22/2009  6:42:20 PM - CMainApp::ProcessCommandLineArgs - no command line args found
            12/22/2009  6:42:20 PM - CPluginInterface::LoadPlugins - ENTER
            12/22/2009  6:42:20 PM -

• 3. Re: Agent 4.5 Roaming Profile Problem
              jstanley

Interesting indeed. I'm afraid you will need to get a case opened with support to get the underlying issue addressed. That said I can offer a workaround that should resolve the issue. If you install the agent and specify a local directory for the agent to use for its data directory it should work fine. You will have to do this via a commandline passed during the agent install. You can add the switches to the deployment task used to upgrade the agent or during a manual agent install. Unfortunately thier is no way to specify a custom data directory during an agent push.

Here are the switches during a manual agent install to install the agents data directory in C:\MA45Data\:

framepkg.exe /install=agent /DataDir="C:\MA45Data\"

To do this via a deployment task simply add the following switches to the commandline parameters for the agent install:

/install=agent /DataDir="C:\MA45Data\"

I hope that helps!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Agent 4.5 Roaming Profile Problem

Thanks for the help, and I will give it a try.  However, I do not have a support contract, so I don't know if I can log a support call without being charged.

• 5. Re: Agent 4.5 Roaming Profile Problem

I have resolved the issue.  I created an exception to IPS Rule 4055: Protect Product Folders.

Adding the exception " *\Profiles\* ", allowed me to log off and my profile to be updated.  Rule 4055 was blocking access to individual roaming profiles that were being stored on the roaming profile server.  Even though the server was simply storing the profiles the rule was protecting ePO files contained in them as though they were actively being used.

• 6. Re: Agent 4.5 Roaming Profile Problem

We are having same issue.. Please let me know the detail about the fix.

Thanks