1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Oct 2, 2010 9:15 AM by Maliplex RSS

"Security Tool" Malware Program, McAffee did not find or stop from installing

After purchasing a 2 year 3pc subscription for Security Center, I still had to remove a Malware program manually and McAfee did not find it, nor stop it from being installed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UoV1C4NbfU

I am ******, I thought this software was supposed to be good.

Any thoughts to this, I used the support IM Chat and informed their team.

Mike

• 1. Re: "Security Tool" Malware Program, McAffee did not find or stop from installing
          Ex_Brit

None of the protection software suites on the market today will protect against everything out there.

Keep your system totally up to date, use caution when surfing, downloading etc. and as a precaution keep one of two (free) anti-spyware tools handy and updated, just in case.

http://community.mcafee.com/message/6617#6617

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 27/12/09 12:08:09 EST PM
          • 2. Re: "Security Tool" Malware Program, McAffee did not find or stop from installing

"Security Tool Protect":

A virus called security tool protection is trying to scam people by  making them think there are tons of threats in their computers.

The fake security tool protect your pc malware will bombard your screen with advertisements and may tell you that you  need to

get security tool protect your pc full version or you need to  pay for the security tool protect your pc activation code to remove the

threats in your computer.Is disables ALL functions on your computer and deactivates McAfee as well.

I see these posts are from Decemver 2009.

Ex_Brit says:

None of the protection software suites on the market today will protect against everything out there.

Why is my McAfee STILL not protecting me now in August 2010?

I contacted the Help desk and they offer to remove the virus for me, but I have to pay them.

In this case I feel that I have paid my subscription, this kind of virus obviously is well known since 2009,

and by now McAfee should have found a protection for it.

My computer is always up to date and I must admit this is the first time I am infected since I have McAfee.

I did not download anything, this just jumped onto my computer by itself.

What makes it worse is that 2 wees ago I was infected with "Antivir Solution Pro" which is similar to

"Security Tool Protect". That was easy to remove and had instructions on the internet that WORKED.

I followed the instructions in the video posted by cssmgt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UoV1C4NbfU

The only problem: The files I have to delete are not there!

The virus is called "Security Tool Protect" and it has blocked ALL functions on my computer.

I cannot access the internet to download any scanning or removal tool.

I may have to pay someone to get rid of this. I have spent more than 24 hours od scanning,

reading and trying. Nothing worked so far.

I scanned with the Microsoft August 2010 tool. It took 15 hours and found nothing. The computer is still infected.

I m now scanning with Malawarebytes Anti-Malaware in secure mode. It found 13 infections, removed them all for free

and the virus seems to have gone. Unfortunately Internet Explorer does not connect to the internet but

Firefox does.

Sincerely,

Bizfit

• 3. Re: "Security Tool" Malware Program, McAffee did not find or stop from installing
              Ex_Brit

If you can isolate something that isn't being detected send it in to be analysed:  http://vil.nai.com/vil/submit-sample.aspx

I repeat no antivirus will stop everything and many of these types of things aren't actually malware in themselves but will cause problems if you click on something or follow what thyey tell you to do.

There's no real reason to pay for virus removal when a Google search usually can find a free solution. 

Malwarebytes is designed to spot these sort of things but wont do a brilliant job dealing with many of the viruses, troajsn and the like that antivirus applications deal with.

• 4. Re: "Security Tool" Malware Program, McAffee did not find or stop from installing

Dear Ex_Brit,

Thanks for your fast answer. Unfortunately, I am not knowledgeable enough to isolate

that virus to send into McAfee. I do find it strange that McAfee still does not block this virus

automatically seeing this virus has been around since December 2009.

I am just very happy to have access to my files again.

Sincerely,

Bizfit

• 5. Re: "Security Tool" Malware Program, McAffee did not find or stop from installing

Hey bizrit

I had the same Malvirus. The way I got rid of it was through my guest site. I long on as the guest which I just happened to have and the virus was not present there. So I was able to open up my wall defender and do a scan which found the mal virus and I was able to remove it. So, in future just make sure you have another user for your computer which you can access in case of trouble or if a freind is over.

yadayadahot

• 6. Re: "Security Tool" Malware Program, McAffee did not find or stop from installing

Hey Bizfit

I think the malvirus used the McAffee program to hide. :Like a said the McAffee program works well. I noticed the virus has shut off the wall defender but had not affected it on my guest site.

• 7. Re: "Security Tool" Malware Program, McAffee did not find or stop from installing

Hey cssmgt

I had the virus on my computer. How it got on who knows but I had a guest site set up on my computer and it had not affected it. So I was able to through that site on my computer to access McAffee as administrater. I was able to after entering my password and use the wall defender to scan the computer and isolate the virus and remove it.

My suggestion when you get it fixed have a guest site on your computer.

Richard

• 8. Re: "Security Tool" Malware Program, McAffee did not find or stop from installing

Hi

I agree that the protection are not perfect but I did find an easy way to access the McAffee on my computer through the guest site on my computer which I noticed was not affected by it even though it was on the same computer. I could read that the Mal virus had shut on the wall defender on the original sight but was able to get access via guest site which was not affected. I was so relieved. It isolated the virus's(I had 2 of them) and was able to remove them. Sp the programs do work.

Richard

• 9. Re: "Security Tool" Malware Program, McAffee did not find or stop from installing

I think this sounds like the virus that infected my home PC last night.  I found the McAfee program unable to function while logged on as myself, eventually discovering I could open McAfee and run virus scan using another login.  I ran 'complete scan' twice and did not get rid of the virus.  I am not able to get internet access to download updates or any remedy solutions for virus removal.  Even if I want to enlist pay for service virus removal, they won't be able to access my computer if I cannot get on-line.

1 2 Previous Next