5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2009 5:40 AM by Peter M

Scan for corrupt files

How can I run SknDsk?  McAfee says 3 of the files are corrupted and to run it.       

Thanks a lot

• 1. Re: Scan for corrupt files
          Peter M

Knowing more about what operating system you have would help but I assume you mean chkdsk?

In XP go to Start/Run and type in CMD, then in the ensuing Command Prompt window type chkdsk /r (with the space between the k and /) and click the Enter key.

It will complain that it can't run because the volume is in use, try at next reboot Y/N?

Enter Y and click Enter.

Reboot and let it run.  It may take quite a while.  Be patient.

If you have several different lettered volumes (partitions or disks) and this is not letter C: then type in chkdsk X: /r (X being the correct drive letter and ensure the spaces exist between k and X and between : and /)

In Vista and Windows 7 go to Start and type cmd in the "Start Search" box.

When cmd or cmd.exe appears in the list above, right-click it and select "Run as Administrator".

Proceed the same way as above from there onwards.  OK any UAC prompts you get.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 25/12/09 9:03:00 EST AM
          • 2. Re: Scan for corrupt files

Dear Ex_Brit:  I am running XP.   I got to the last step but after I did one of the files I got the message that I already had

a file named Run as Administrator.  There are 98 total files with cmd in them.

Robert

• 3. Re: Scan for corrupt files
              Peter M

Run as Administrator only applies to Vista or Windows 7.

Go to Start/All Programs/Accessories and look for Command Prompt or go to Start/Run and type in cmd then hit the Enter key, same thing.

• 4. Re: Scan for corrupt files

Thanks very much, Peter.  The 3 culprits showed up in following your directions

and I deleted them..  So for now I think I'm alright.

Thanks again.................Robert

• 5. Re: Scan for corrupt files
                  Peter M

That's good.  Glad to help.