3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 25, 2009 12:34 PM by Dinz RSS

McAfee won't install

Hi.

I recently uninstalled McAfee because it was having issue updating; however, when I tried to reuninstall it, the installer said there was a download error:12029. I've tried to download the files again, but I keep getting the same error. I'm positive I completely removed all the files relating to the old McAfee, too.

Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

• 1. Re: McAfee won't install

Hi knick,

1. You can try to run the MCPR tool. from link below

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

2. Restart the computer

3. Open Internet explorer, Click on Tools, Internet Options -> Advanced -> Reset 

4. Ran the Pitool from the link below

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/McPreInstall.e xe

5. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7 restart the computer else if you are using Windows XP go to step 6

6. Try to download McAfee again..

Revert back if the same problem occurs.

Thank you

Regards

Mahesh CJ

• 2. Re: McAfee won't install

Thank you for the help!

I'm afraid to say even after I followed your instructions, I'm getting the same error message from the McAfee installer. (Would it have something to do with the fact I use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer?)

Do you think it may not be installing because I also have Spybot - Search and Destroy and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware?

Message was edited by: knick on 12/25/09 10:38:51 AM CST
            • 3. Re: McAfee won't install
              Dinz

Hi,

The other antivirus software can make the Download Manager  unable to access the Internet.

I would suggest you to uninstall the other security softwares from control panel as well as its files and folders from C:\program files and common files.

Restart the computer and tap pressing the F8 keys while restarting , from Windows advanced boot menu select safe mode with networking. (Ignore this step if you are on a wireless connection)

Then Try installing again,

Regards.

Dinesh K