1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2010 3:52 PM by Peter M

mcafee download problem on proxy server

hello everyone

i am a dell user currently using windows 7 sp1 recently upgraded from the vista sp1 both genuine os provided by dell

i  am having problem of downloading mcafee from my account from mcafee site both in the current version of windows 7 and earlier when i was using version of vista sp2.

i use LAN connection using proxy server given by my institute.

from the same connection i am logging in my mcafee account and able to download DM setup but when the mcafee screen pop up then it says that no interconnection is available

i am still having 15 month account left on mcafee i am totally frustated

please anyone expert help me to download my mcaffee on this connection

• 1. Re: mcafee download problem on proxy server
          Peter M

You mean Windows 7 RTM (no SP) I assume as there hasn't been a Service Pack yet.

I cribbed the following from a similar instance so try it..

1. Check for proxy connections in Internet Explorer. (Tools -> Internet options -> connections -> Lan settings -> Uncheck all options ->

2. Disable the below features in IE.
          Please click on advanced tab.
          Please uncheck the following options.

Uncheck Check for Server Certificate Revocation

Uncheck Check for Publisher’s Certificate Revocation

Uncheck Check for Signatures on download programs

Close all windows and try to download/install McAfee.

The options in this FAQ may also help: http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100291&lang=en_US&prior_tid=2&An swerID=16777224&turl==http%3A%2F%2Fkb.mcafee.com%2Finfocenter%2Findex%3Fpage%3Dc ontent%26id%3DTS100291%26actp%3Dsearch

I also found this which may help:

Download and run the preinstall tool before reinstalling Mcafee

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/McPreInstall.e xe

Reboot the PC

• 2. Re: mcafee download problem on proxy server

sir i appreciate your concern for my problem

but if i uncheck the option of use following proxy server in LAN settings in windows internet explorer any internet browser will not work as my institution settings require that i should use a proxy server in lan setting (lan setting checked options at current are automatically detect settings, use following proxy, and bypass local server options)

by the way i am currently using windows vista sp1 after reinstalling it as i have removed the windows 7 thinking that it was a windows 7 problem and this mcafee was working very well and gave not a single problem since last six months on the same proxy server setting for lan

1. my date and time setting are quite correct as windows update and any other internet activity is working fine

2 as i have reinstalled vista1 pack only some hours after writing first post so there are no mcafee products

3 i dont think running of removal tool mcpr is necessary

4 i talked to mcafee persons in customer care they told that it is not possible to download mcafee on proxy servers and also the update will not work then why everything was fine earlier before uninstalling it

6 other about 30 users of mcafee are using same proxy server and in my same institution and are well comfortable with the updates and reinstallation from mcafee website

5 however yet i have not ran your preinstall link will tell you after running it

i want my old and gold mcafee back before i loose my faith in it

will tell you after  running that preinstall tool as at present i can not close all windows to run it

• 3. Re: mcafee download problem on proxy server
              Peter M

OK good luck.  I think if you have any more trouble speak with Technical Support Chat again and ask for escalation if necessary because it should work through a proxy, or so I've been told, but I'm only a volunteer working from home.  There are two fixes above...a proxy fix and the preinstall tool. try both.

• 4. Re: mcafee download problem on proxy server

Hi guru9anand,

I think we can fix this issue by using 2 browsers..

Unfortunately McAfee uses only IE to update its software , And if a proxy is set on IE. McAfee will not update.

1 . Download a second browser like firefox or Google chrome.

2 . Configure your proxy to Firefox or Chrome.

3 . Uncheck the Proxy in IE..

4 . Restart the computer

5 . Try to update McAfee ..

Challenges you might face :

McAfee might not still update if you cannot browse Internet using your IE.

But can update if you take your computer on your home network.

Else the only option will be to go for a Corporate McAfee software which supports University or office proxy networks.

Thanks

Regards

Mahesh CJ

• 5. Re: mcafee download problem on proxy server

specific answer for mahesh's post

1first of all sir i dont have the problem of update rather than downloading mcafee

2 even i have tried your instructions in mozilla browser

3 disabling of lan connection proxy server and mannual feeding of proxy server dont affect the mozilla web browsing it goes fine and DM setup is downloaded

4 but i cant access internet from ie8 after disabling lan option which might be due to the fact that internet options is also found in tools menu of ie8 as well as in control panel

• 6. Re: mcafee download problem on proxy server

i have tried according to your instructions Brit

1 i ran that preinstallation tool and it had produced log which if necessary could be produced

2 i have unchecked the options and even disabled firewall for sometime but it didn't worked

3 i am getting same answers of no connections after running installation of DM setup

4 if there is any connection problem does not seems to me as the setup is getting downloaded from same connection

• 7. Re: mcafee download problem on proxy server
                      Peter M

In your reply to Mahesh you mentioned disabling LAN...why?   Just leave the settings under connections, LAN blank.  Internet Options is the same whether in IE8 or in Control Panel.

Try contacting Tech Support Chat using Firefox or similar and ask them to go into your machine to check settings for IE.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 25/12/09 10:53:28 EST AM
                      • 8. Re: mcafee download problem on proxy server

i have not disabled LAn but rather had only unchecked the options under lan settings for use of proxy server

i have already talked to mcafee person and let them examine my system  by controlling my mouse they told me that it would not be downloaded on proxy servers and i would not be able to update it further they also show me same the same article as u have given in one of the links

i have seen some patch which is required to get it updated on proxy servers but all will work if it will get downloaded how to download it on proxy servers please tell me that

• 9. Re: mcafee download problem on proxy server
                          Peter M

The http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MSCPRXFIX.exe patch cand be downloaded using any browser...I thought you said other browsers worked.

1 2 Previous Next