3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2009 9:40 AM by ZSlash

Mcshield is using 100% of my cpu

Mcshield is using 100% of my cpu making my computer crawl to do the simplest task. When playing games, watching video, and browsing the web mcshield will flare up to 100% cpu usage then several minutes later reside before doing it again. How do I stop it?

on 12/24/09 10:01:33 AM GMT-05:00
        • 1. Re: Mcshield is using 100% of my cpu
          exbrit

What is your operating system and service pack and how much RAM do you have installed?

This issue, if not infection-related, is often caused by McAfee clashing with some other software.  Are there any clues in your Event Viewer for instance?  Do you have any other software that is protection-related?

Searching the forums brings up many instances of this, the most recent included the discovery that Nero 7 clashed, in particular InCD, and once it was disabled in Startup things improved.

As this is a holiday, help is going to be a bit sparse in the forums I feel so it may behoove you to try Technical Support Chat, free, via the McAfee Support link at the top of this page.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 24/12/09 10:09:14 EST AM
          • 2. Re: Mcshield is using 100% of my cpu

Manufacturer: Gateway

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU         T5200  @ 1.60GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 2038MB RAM

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090804-1435)

I do not have nero 7 installed on my computer and no other immediate protection, I have spybot spyware scanner but it is currently turned off. I have done multiple scans and defrags to try and fix it, but even typing this message is proving difficult due to the slow down.

• 3. Re: Mcshield is using 100% of my cpu
              exbrit

Try Technical Support Chat then.   Your system certainly has enough resources.