2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2009 7:21 PM by JPHespanha

Trojan SPM/LX, anyone help?

I have the product 3-User McAfee Total Protection on my home PC and Laptop. Yesterday, my home PC get infected while browsing the internet, just by displaying a html page. McAfee said it blocked a registry change and removed the virus, called FakeAlert-AV (something), but anyway, the PC is still infected. My media player and winrar applications stop working and I can not access the task manager (it says I do not have permissions!).

There are a lot of messages appearing in the desktop warning of infections, most notably the Trojan SPM/LX, which I assume is not a real virus. Some messages advice me to install some Security software, which I did not do for obvious reasons.

Even worse, when I was looking for some information using google, I was directed to a false community site, with a number of advices on how to remove this trojan, which are most suspicious.

So, if somebody has gone through the same troubles and knows about any solution that is not as expensive as contracting the virus removal from McAfee (after the product failed to protect my PC!), please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

João Oliveira

• 1. Re: Trojan SPM/LX, anyone help?

Apologies for the delay, the original post was moved.

You have "malware", in the form of a rogue "Anti-virus, AntiSpyware or Anti-Malware" product.  The rogue was probably downloaded through an HTML page, though without seeing exactly the messages you are receiving, it is difficult to pinpoint.

However, you should try the following link:

BleepingComputer.com > Trojanspm/lx

Good luck, and post back here with the results!

• 2. Re: Trojan SPM/LX, anyone help?

Dear SeanMc98:

Thank you very much, problem solved with the MalwareBytes software. Only that I was (erroneously) thinking that McAfee Total Protection could handle all sorts of infections, but now I realize it does not, at least with this Malware.

An important correction to my previous post: the virus that McAfee reported is the HTML/FakeAV trojan type.

I leave as attachment the log from the MBAM software.

BTW, this was a nice Christmas gift!