4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2010 11:47 AM by sameer172006

What do you guys think ????

Hi Friends,

I have always liked the idea of using Security Software as a service and when McAfee Total Protection Service was launched, I have always been an avid follower of the product since then. The Version 5.0 is fabulous and changes things for good. The new interface and the upgrade to the Security Centre is good. The product is doing a good job at detections as well. However, As a McAfee lover, I would want to list out a few things which will help make this software a sures hot success :-

1} There should be a way to control the Artemis settings for the On Access and the On Demand Scans from the Policies page :-

We have seen how wonderful this will be because the Virus Scan Enterprise 8.7i has this capability and to me as a network administrator, It is a great help if I can decide what kind of heuristics I could use for my test environment. The ToPS lacks this feature and teh only way to play aroudn with the Artemis settings is to go in to registries and then stop the policy updates from changing it. All in all, VERY CUMBERSOME !!!

2} The interface could do with a little more options. For example, The manual update can only be done by Rught clicking on the tray icon. I find it funny when I dont see the update now option when I actually have the console open in front of me. Likewise, If I have to scan , Then I would have to open the console and cant just use the tray icon to do the same.

3} McAfee has claimed that Patch 3 does help with the scan times. However, I personally do not feel any change. This is one of the most critical areas where McAfee needs to act fast and proper. With the other security vendors putting a lot of stress on fast scan times, This will be a major blow to McAfee's prospects. The ToPS scans take forever to complete.

Please comment on how you like the ideas/suggestions and correct me if I am wrong in whatever I wrote above. It will be great to have some communication in this thread.

More to follow later friends.

Thank You

Sam

• 1. Re: What do you guys think ????

Hi Guys,

More than 70 views and not a single response yet ???

Please let me know what you think friends. Lets have some communication here !!!

Sam

• 2. Re: What do you guys think ????

I assume either every one loves ToPS the way it is now or every one hates it so much that they are not even botehred to have a collective feedback given to McAfee ...

• 3. Re: What do you guys think ????

Hi Sameer.  I think you are dead-on with your complaints and recommendations.  I could not agree more with everything you say.

I have 125 or more tops nodes out there and would like to see much more control over that environment.

I have a question.  If I disable policy plugins for virusscan, with that disable other policy items?  for example, I use a policy to specify when to get updates, when to do a full scan and what files to exclude.  

I have almost decided to start using AVIRA.  comments on that?

Buddy Weaver

bmwj@cp-tel.net

• 4. Re: What do you guys think ????

Buddy,

Remember, When we were disabling the Policy Plug in, We only disabled the one with the Virus Scan heuristic settings. So please rest assured. Other settings are still intact.

I make it a point to test McAfee, Avira, AVG, Symantec etc etc..

Among the freeware, I do like Avira for sure. It is better than Avast n AVG. It is good at malware removal. However, Avira is notorious for giving many false alarms. So please use caution while you are at it.

Sameer !