2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2009 8:32 PM by darkshyre

why am i paying for a product that fails to do its job?

why am I paying for mcafee when I have to give them 89.99 for an online chat to remove a virus that I bought their products to block in the first place?

• 1. Re: why am i paying for a product that fails to do its job?
          Peter M

Moved to Malware Discussions.

First off no anti-virus in the world will prevent everything out there from infecting your machine.  It's up to you to keep your system up to date and surf wisely.

Secondly, every anti-virus maker charges for one-on-one support, but if you Google whatever the infection is/was you would no doubt find free alternatives, but without any information it's difficult to suggest anything.

• 2. Re: why am i paying for a product that fails to do its job?

I agree w/ Ex_brit. As even if you try and install other AVs eventually you will still encounter undetected viruses.

Just like on our case, we are using Virusscan enterprise 8.7 with engine 5400 complete w/ Anti-Spyware enterprise, HIPS, artemis and all are managed by ePO Server. Even with that stack of products, we still encounter undetected viruses which are local variants perhaps? Im not sure but what im sure of is Mcafee is kind of poor in detection this year compared to last year IMO.

We're like submitting sample viruses to AVERT like 8-10 different kinds of "undetected" viruses per month.

And so each of the infected users are asking the same question that you asked here. I mean EXACTLY the same. So all we could say as an excuse is "this is a local variant that is why Mcafee have yet to detect the specific virus" (even if it is not)

Its kind of a drag trying to explain this especially to a high ranking end-user who has the power to change company standards. jeez. everytime an outbreak happens due to an undetected virus we have to prepare a detailed presentation comparing other AVs to Mcafee and we have to justify why do we still have to renew our licenses for the next year.