1 2 3 Previous Next 27 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2011 11:28 PM by martytinoz

McAfee Anti-Theft will not relock vaults

I just downloaded  McAfee Anti-Theft for new 64 bit Windows 7 box.

McAfee says it is WIN 7 compatible.

PROBLEM:

Vaults will not re-lock.

Message says that files are open and need to be closed before vault can be re-locked.

BUT no file is open and get same error for empty vaults that contain NO files.

I spent > 5 HOURS with McAfee online support chat with techs controlling my computer

themselves - went thru 3 tiers of support. That's tier 1 -> tier2 -> tier3.

They finally gave up. Stumped.

This cannot be a unique problem.

This is not support!

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Mike

• 1. Re: McAfee Anti-Theft will not relock vaults
          Dinz

Hi,

Could you specify whether If you have unlocked any McAfee Anti-Theft Vault, and then shared it on a network; if so you cannot lock that Vault again until sharing is disabled.

Regards,

Dinesh K

• 2. Re: McAfee Anti-Theft will not relock vaults

No sharing.

Even empty vaults will not relock on command in my 64-bit WIN 7.

On my XP system - no problem.

• 3. Re: McAfee Anti-Theft will not relock vaults
              Dinz

Hi ,

If the McAfee Anti-Theft registry key is damaged or missing you will be unable to lock Vaults. To verify that you have this issue, perform the steps below.

Click Start, Search, and type regedit.
              In the Search Results, right-click Regedit and choose Run as Administrator.

Navigate to the following registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\McPvDrv]

Verify the following information by double-clicking the keys listed below:

Error Control has a value of 1
              Start has a value of 0
              Type has a value of 1

If any of these values are incorrect, close the registry editor and continue to the solution steps below.

Run mcafee virtual technician from http://mvt.mcafee.com
              Restart the computer after MVT completes and check whether you are able to lock the vaults. KIndly report back if you have any issues.

Regards,
              Dinesh K

on 12/22/09 2:13:30 PM GMT-06:00
              • 4. Re: McAfee Anti-Theft will not relock vaults

registry values are correct.

MVT found registry OK and failed to resolve problem.

I keep thinking this app might not be compliant w. 64-bit WIN 7???

Thanks

• 5. Re: McAfee Anti-Theft will not relock vaults
                  Dinz

If you still cannot open McAfee Anti-Theft after running MVT, you will need to reinstall the program.

Note: Personal Vaults, and the data stored within them, will not be lost if you reinstall McAfee Anti-Theft. All Vaults will be available after a successful reinstall.

Regards,

Dinesh K

• 6. Re: McAfee Anti-Theft will not relock vaults

Of course - I have reinstalled the app a number of times - no help.

The McAfee techs did also while controlling my computer.

I downloaded and reinstalled  the current version from McAfee.

No help.

Vaults will not relock on command - even when empty.

• 7. Re: McAfee Anti-Theft will not relock vaults
                      Dinz

Hi jstearns,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused , This seems to be unusual .
                      I shall make a research on the same and  shall keep you posted on the same.

Thanks,

Dinesh K

• 8. Re: McAfee Anti-Theft will not relock vaults

I have followed this thread as I have the identical problem described by jstearns.  I have a 32 bit Windows 7 installation in which the vault will not lock after creation even when empty. The "file open" error message is the same as described by jstearns.  As a test, I installed MAT on a Windows XP laptop where it works fine

gmcfagl

• 9. Re: McAfee Anti-Theft will not relock vaults

ditto!

I use the same current version on WIN XP machines and it works fine.

On, at least the 64-bit, WINDOWS 7 it fails to relock on command with the same message that there are open files even when there are NO files in the vault - empty vault.

The McAfee web site says this is WIN 7 compatible. This has got to be a growing problem as more people switch over to 64-bit WIN 7 and get a bad feeling about McAfee because of the frustration over buggy software.

1 2 3 Previous Next