7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2009 11:48 AM by jo3y

Extremely slow network performance after installing EEFF

I'm currently piloting EEFF and have just received reports that users in the another country are having problems when accessing a network drive here in the UK. I didn't believe it was related to EEFF so I tested on a machine without it installed, everything works fine. I then installed EEFF and tried to access the same drive, this time it took over 20 seconds for the folder structure to be displayed. I have also received complaints from several users of slow logon in the UK and thought it was unrelated but after seeing this first hand I'm having second thoughts.

What is baffling me even more is that EEFF is configured to only use the EERM feature (see this post http://community.mcafee.com/message/98508) and as such it doesn't even require users accounts or communication with the Endpoint Encryption Manager database!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Charlie

• 1. Re: Extremely slow network performance after installing EEFF
          mwilke

Do you have "Enable Network Encryption" checked under the network tab on EEFF Policy?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Extremely slow network performance after installing EEFF

Yes it was, I've just tried disabling it and recreating the installation set but now I'm receiving "license invalid" when booting up... I guess the 30 day trial has run out.

I've canceled the dialog and tested the network drive regardless of the above error and it's still giving a slow response. Any other ideas mike?

[EDIT] Is there anyway to ensure the modified setting is being applied to the client? I tried installing over the top and it didn't work, I then tried a complete uninstall and reinstall after which I receive the invalid license message.

Message was edited by: jo3y on 17/12/09 11:58:15 CST
            • 3. Re: Extremely slow network performance after installing EEFF

Ok, I've managed to get an extension on the pilot and have created a new install set with "Enable Network Encryption" not longer selected. Unfortunately it's made no difference. I've tried an install over the top of an existing one and have also tried removing the old client, rebooting, installing the new one and rebooting again. Is there anyway to check the correct settings are being applied or do you think another part of the configuration could be incorrect?

• 4. Re: Extremely slow network performance after installing EEFF

Take a look at the Diagnostics (right-click on the traybar icon --> Show Status --> Diagnostics).

This will generate an XML file for you which you can review - look for a tag in there like <enable_network_encryption> which will show you if it's enabled or disabled.

Good to know: if you create the installationset from the EEFF policy itself, it will take those settings by default on the client on which you've installed it upon.

If you say you only want to use it for EERM's capabilities - a default policy should suffice without any alterations to it other than the one to enable EERM, also ensure that if you want to allow recoveries to be done, make sure it's not using a recovery key but a recovery password to see if this makes a difference (the first requires a sync with the server..)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Extremely slow network performance after installing EEFF

Hi Eelco,

Thanks for the advice, I had checked the xml file before but didn't spot the settings, I only saw the parts about the MS patches and verious components being installed. Having used the diagnostics properly, I can confirm that the Network Encryption setting isn't being applied to clients, it looks like the settings don't get applied when installing over an existing install. I must say that I'm slightly confused as I'm sure I had tested a full uninstall and reinstall before, but maybe I had missed a reboot or the new installation package hadn't picked up the policy changes (This time I created the package by right clicking the policy itself rather than the policy group - not sure if this makes a difference?). What confused me even further is that I had created a temporary account and signed into one into one of the pilot machines, performed a full sync, and still experience slow network performance.

Anyway, the good news is that following the uninstall, reboot, reinstalling with the new installation package and a further reboot, the settings are applied and network performance is back to normal!

No the final question - Can anyone tell me if it's possible to force the new settings onto existing installs without having to uninstall, reboot, reinstall and another reboot? (With out clients receiving policy by syncing either as no users accounts are being created!) Perhaps via a reg key change or and XML/ini settings file?

Cheers,

Charlie

• 6. Re: Extremely slow network performance after installing EEFF

sorry no - the product was designed to be used alongside users, so without them you're really using it in a way it was not really designed to work. You could ask your account manager to raise an FMR for you though?

• 7. Re: Extremely slow network performance after installing EEFF

The pilot was only on 15 machines so I will just manually uninstall and reinstall the client on them. I was more concerned that should I deploy it to the wider group (nearly 300 machines) and the customer then requests a policy change that doing this manually would be rather time consuming! I'll consider raising the FMR just to be safe...

As a work around and whilst waiting for the FMR to be complete (if it even gets approved) - I have seen missing files replaced when installing the client over the top of an existing install, so I was thinking... are the client side settings not stored in a particular file within EEFF, which could just be deleted so it would be replaced when the install ran again?