1 2 Previous Next 11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2009 8:21 PM by mailat.arvind.s@gmail.com

Virus/spyware/malware help required

I purchased McAfee last week after bad experiences with Virgin PCGuard. At the start McAfee removed all viruses on my computer and appeared to be brilliant.

A week later however, another one appears to have infected my computer and when I open up either mine or my gfs user name, the pop ups occur and disables the ability to access the internet and McAfee program. I can switch user however, and the computer then appears to be unaffected. However, when I do update and open McAfee and then run a scan no viruses etc are detected.

I wondered if there was a way to sort this problem in an easy way?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Virus/spyware/malware help required

Hi,

You can try and run a scan using Malwarebytes

Please follow the below link to install and remove and infections

http://www.downloadbestsoft.com/howto/software/how-to-install-malwarebytes-and-p erform-a-scan-of-your-pc--33.html

Thank you.

MJ

• 2. Re: Virus/spyware/malware help required

Hi.

And please dont forget to update McAfee software once you finish the complete scan on Malwarebytes ( Very important )

Thanks

Regards

MJ

• 3. Re: Virus/spyware/malware help required

Listen Pilgrim, I'm not going to pay for something else that McAfee should have found.

I find McAfee's support terrible, my son can't even get to McAfee site to inquire about the problem he's having.

All I give you is what's showing up on his computer:

////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Antivirus Live

os-guardpro2010.com

bankerfox.a

port 21073

/////////////////////////////////////////////////

He can't do anything, says it found viruses, wants to do a scan, can't even get to control panel/add remove programs, can't get to McAfee site.

Don't know if this is a virus,malware,pup, etc, keyed in the above search values, but no hits, surely other people are having problems also.

Message was edited by: JOHNWAYNE on 12/19/09 9:10:53 PM CST

Message was edited by: JOHNWAYNE Downloaded 'MalWarebytes', was hard to install because of virus, finally got it loaded, put in in 'STARTUP' folder, ran the scan but appeared not to be running, just sitting there, turned off computer. The next day he started it up, it was gone, so everyone Thanks for your help. You're all correct, McAfee should have caught this, but the real culprit is 'MICROSOFT", they can't even control their own operating system, how could they let some software take control of the operating system; every *.exe you tried to run, it would say it's infected and the virus also took control of Internet Explorer. Microsoft sucks BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!. Im so fed up with them I just bought an 'Apple" computer. on 12/24/09 2:02:15 PM CST
              • 4. Re: Virus/spyware/malware help required

Cleaned two PCs with the AntiVirus Live annoyance this past weekend.  You'll need to download MalwareBytes to remove the infection and don't need to pay for it.. the free version works fine.  Boot in safe mode (if you can) to clean.

If your internet access seems to be gone, launch your browser, click Tools, Internet Options, click Connections tab, click "LAN Settings" button, then be sure the Proxy Server box is NOT checked.  That should allow internet access for those who have it gone.

Now run MalwareBytes and update with latest definitions and scan.  It should remove AntiVirus Live.  Good luck!

• 5. Re: Virus/spyware/malware help required

Alright, I spent hours dealing with this one this morning on my laptop.

First of all, this trojan has been out there for a while and it's inexcusable that McAfee didn't spot it and disinfect it before it managed to launch.

The version I picked up prevented most other programs from launching, including most antivirus software.  Fortunately, it didn't shut out Firefox, with which I downloaded "Malwarebytes."  Of course, the version I had wouldn't even allow Malwarebytes to launch in order to do a scan, so I had to boot to Safe Mode and run Malwarebytes from there.  That took care of the problem for now, cleaning the registry and deleting the trojan.

I shouldn't need a second antivirus/antispyware program to deal with a prevalent threat like this one.  Also, while Malwarebytes is free and did a good job, it took a long time to figure out how to get rid of Antivirus Live and McAfee needs to update to prevent this nasty little bugger from getting onto machines protected by its license holders.

• 6. Re: Virus/spyware/malware help required
                    Peter M

No protection software in the World will stop everything out there, that's why we recommend these extra applications from time to time.

• 7. Re: Virus/spyware/malware help required

While I don't expect McAfee to stop everything, I DO expect it to stop anything that's relatively common and has been around for more than a few weeks.  Why am I paying for a licencse and update fee for a premier security software suite when the developers of a piece of freeware manage to spot this stuff and include it in their libraries faster than McAfee does?

• 8. Re: Virus/spyware/malware help required

See my response above: JOHNWAYNE.

• 9. Re: Virus/spyware/malware help required
                          Peter M

discordianknot wrote:

While I don't expect McAfee to stop everything, I DO expect it to stop anything that's relatively common and has been around for more than a few weeks.  Why am I paying for a licencse and update fee for a premier security software suite when the developers of a piece of freeware manage to spot this stuff and include it in their libraries faster than McAfee does?

Malwarebytes finds stuff that regular anti-virus applications can't and vice-versa....as I said nothing catches everything.

1 2 Previous Next