4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2009 9:03 PM by Sailendra Pamidi

Product upgrade,new extensions,license question

bostjanc

Greetings!

I have three questions. I hope I will get the answers for all the three:

First question:

We are doing product deployment of Viruscan Enterprise 8.7 & Mcafee 4.5 manually. With word "manually" I mean that we do have a Task which installs Mcaffe & Viruscan when new computer is added in our Active Directory, but due to the experiences in the past, we usually do a manual installation of Agent&Viruscan by installing exe files (setupvse.exe & framepkg.exe) before putting computer in our domain. Sometimes we find out that all the users do not have the latest version. Now we want to make some kind of task which will tell us which computers in our company has older version of Mcafee&Viruscan (including patches) soo we don't do an upgrade to all the computers in our company but only to thoose who have older version? We do not want to upgrade clients who already have the latest version. We are also not sure which task should we choose when we want to do an upgrade of Viruscan&Mcafee versions/patches on this computers. Should we choose Product upgrade task or Product Deployment task. How can I solve a scheduling if a person is using a laptop and is currently not in the office when we deploy task?

Second Question:

I see that Epolicy orchestrator has its own automatic update task for updating new virus databases, but the problem appears when Mcafee creates new versions, program extensions,patches, etc. Is there a way that Epolicy would also do this new versions upgrade automatically? The problem is that I never know when some new version, patch, extension is realesed. I usually find out like that, when we have a problem with Mcafee or Viruscan, then I google it and upgrade versions. If this can not be done, I would be very grateful if Mcafee would notice us every time when there is a new version of Mcafee Agent or Viruscan (including patches & extensions).

Third Question:

Our company has extended/bought a licence of Mcafee for the next year period. The grant number is now different then it was before. Will the license of epolicy orchestrator 4.5 last until next year 2011? I think I have made an installation of newer version (EPO 4.5) some days before we have extended license. How can I check if the license of the current version of EPO on server is ok and will not expired? I would really like to avoid of any license expiration.

With best regards,

Bostjanc

• 1. Re: Product upgrade,new extensions,license question
          jstanley

Question 1: Only a Product deployment task will upgrade the major version of a product. So if you wish to go from VSE 8.5 -> VSE 8.7 you would have to use a deployment task. If you wish to apply the latest patch (such as VSE 8.7 patch 2) then you would use an update tasks. Deployment tasks will not re-install the same version of a product so if you have a deployment task set to install VSE 8.7 and it runs on a machine with VSE 8.7 already installed it will not re-install VSE 8.7.

Questions 2: Extensions, patches and new product version must be downloaded and checked into EPO manually by design this cannot be automated. Patches are released on a scheduled basis. Occasionally hotfixes for specific issues will be released outside of the schedule but generally we do not recommend you apply a hotfix unless you are experiencing the specific issue the hotfix addresses. Most hotfixes will be rolled up in the next patch release with a few rare exceptions. See KB51542 for information on our patch release schedule:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB51542

Question 3: Your EPO 4.5 license will expire when your grant number expires. It does not matter when you installed EPO 4.5. You should have received a welcome letter that provided you your grant number. This letter will specify when your grant number expires. If your EPO license expires you will receive a message on your console logon screen for EPO and your repository pull task will fail with a license error. All other EPO functionality should continue.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Product upgrade,new extensions,license question
            bostjanc

Thanks for the answer.

I would have another question for question3.

Our company has renamed it's title. We went from Halcom informatika d.o.o. to Halcom d.d. and after we have paid a new license we got a different grant number then the previous. What will be in this case? Where can I ask this question in Mcafee?

With best regards,

• 3. Re: Product upgrade,new extensions,license question
              jstanley

If you recieved a different grant number then in all likelyhood your current EPO license key will expire eventually and you will have to enter the new key. To confirm this simply go to the product download page | enter your new grant number | click "view available downloads" and your license key should be listed at the top of the page. The product download page is here:

https://secure.nai.com/apps/downloads/my_products/login.asp

Don't worry if the license key currently entered into EPO expires. This will not completely break EPO only your repository pull will fail. You will still be able to logon to the EPO console, manage policies, etc. You can tell if the license key for EPO has expired because at the console logon screen it will indicate you have an evaluation copy of EPO. At that time you will have a link you can use to enter the new license key. You can change the license key EPO is using at any time by navigating to the Menu | Configuration | Server Settings | Licesne Key page of EPO.

• 4. Re: Product upgrade,new extensions,license question
                Sailendra Pamidi

bostjanc wrote:

Second Question:

I see that Epolicy orchestrator has its own automatic update task for updating new virus databases, but the problem appears when Mcafee creates new versions, program extensions,patches, etc. Is there a way that Epolicy would also do this new versions upgrade automatically? The problem is that I never know when some new version, patch, extension is realesed. I usually find out like that, when we have a problem with Mcafee or Viruscan, then I google it and upgrade versions. If this can not be done, I would be very grateful if Mcafee would notice us every time when there is a new version of Mcafee Agent or Viruscan (including patches & extensions).

To add to what Jeremy said, there is currently an alerting service called MSAS (McAfee Security Alert Service) which is free for Platinum support customers and is a paid service for Gold customers. An alert is sent via SMS / E-mail based on your subscription preferences when there are new patches / Hotfixes posted to the Service Portal or Downloads page.

http://www.mcafee.com/us/local_content/datasheets/ds_mcafee_security_alert_servi ce.pdf

Now, a new service called Support Notification Service is made available to all customers via e-mail. You can subscribe to receive alerts via e-mail. Refer to the link below

http://my.mcafee.com/content/SNS_Subscription_Center