5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2010 10:10 AM by CCV

Cant access Windows XP even in safe mode.

Hi all,

I had a problem with my anti virus failing to install, so, I spoke to a  Mcafee Tech through the online chat. He remotely accessed my system and told me that there were a few issues that needed to be resolved and would I like him to fix them. I said yes, he also said that in some cases I may have to re-install my OS. Any way the problem fixed he restarted my system. To my horror all I got was a blank screen and a mouse pointer. Now i can not access windows at all. I have tried to re-install my OS but to no avale. I dont want to lose all my data. Can anyone HELP!!!!!!

Ian.

• 1. Re: Cant access Windows XP even in safe mode.
          Dinz

Hi,

Can you provide some information like,

How old is the computer ?
          Prior to McAfee installation, was the computer infected by any malwares ?

Regards,
          Dinesh K

• 2. Re: Cant access Windows XP even in safe mode.

Hi Dinz,

My computer is 4yrs old and Mcafee has always been on my system from the 1st day I connected to the web. As far as I am aware there were no problems with malware or virus's.

Ian

• 3. Re: Cant access Windows XP even in safe mode.
              Dinz

From the windows advanced boot option (press F8 while restart) select last known good configuration and see if it helps.If Windows detects a problem in the boot process, it will add the Last Known Good configuration option to the start up menu the system should be able to boot again.

Regards,

Dinesh K

• 4. Re: Cant access Windows XP even in safe mode.

Hi Dinz,

Sorry friend already tried to start from the last known config, it did not work. Just ended up with a blank screen and a mouse pointer, but no error messages.

Ian.

• 5. Re: Cant access Windows XP even in safe mode.

I am having the exact same problem.    My Windows XP won't start in any mode, safe or last known config.   I'm replying here since Magnetic-Vulture's question hasn't been satisfactorily answered yet.

History:  a few weeks ago, we started noticing a google-redirect issue.  Whenever we did a google search (on IE7, firefox, or google chrome browsers), and clicked a link, we would be redirected to another page.   At first, McAfee scans didn't find anything, so we downloaded Malwarebytes and it would catch some stuff and delete it.  Things snowballed from there, to the point where it would take scans from both products companies and immediate re-booting just to keep the computer functioning.  Google links had to be copied and pasted to avoid redirects, and the redirects went from generic sales sites to x-rated toward the end.   Sometimes, we'd get a fake Windows virus alert that was actually another virus-scan software trying to get us to buy their product.  (Maybe we should have.)

Anyway, it has gotten to the point where we can't even re-boot, since Windows won't start.  I'm writing this from my laptop; the computer in question is a desktop that's a few years old.  We updated the motherboard/processor a year or so ago, but I can't remember the specifics offhand.

My questions:  how do I get XP to start again, and once I do, how do I get rid of the cancer that has taken it over?   We're ready to wipe it and start over, but we need to get on and back up some documents first.  We only started using McAfee (from our ISP, Comcast) right about the time we first noticed the re-directs.  Clearly, it didn't have the capability to clean up the problem.

No other computers on our home network have this issue - all appear to be clean.