4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2010 4:19 PM by rmajdki

Mcafee 8.7 - installation crash

rossoneris

I have upgraded 13 pc´s from Mcafee 8.0 til mcafee 8.7 and one of the pc´s is just crashing under installation.

I have as on all the other pc´s removed mcafee 8.0 by "add/remove programs" and started the installation of 8.7.

Close to the end of the installation the pc just reboot, no blue screen and I can see in the log files of windows that there was a system error - but nothing detailed.

I can enter windows again normally, and the mcafee shield is also started on but "on-access scanner" can not be enabled -

I ask me if this error occurs because the 8.0 still has left some files etc that couses the crash - or it is some windows components that is missing.

Do any of you have some suggestion

• 1. Re: Mcafee 8.7 - installation crash
          rmetzger

rossoneris wrote:

I have upgraded 13 pc´s from Mcafee 8.0 til mcafee 8.7 and one of the pc´s is just crashing under installation.

I have as on all the other pc´s removed mcafee 8.0 by "add/remove programs" and started the installation of 8.7.

Close to the end of the installation the pc just reboot, no blue screen and I can see in the log files of windows that there was a system error - but nothing detailed.

I can enter windows again normally, and the mcafee shield is also started on but "on-access scanner" can not be enabled -

I ask me if this error occurs because the 8.0 still has left some files etc that couses the crash - or it is some windows components that is missing.

Do any of you have some suggestion

Well, since you may not have completely removed VSE v8.0 or may have leftovers from v8.0 and v8.7, I would suggest looking at this thread and following the links on how to manually remove VSE. http://community.mcafee.com/message/21028#21028 

I would recommend following the instructions for manually removing both v8.0 and v8.7.

Reboot the system and attempt the re-install then.

Have fun,

Ron Metzger

• 2. Re: Mcafee 8.7 - installation crash

Well i have bought McAfee Internet Sercurity for 15 x PC's and also suggested friends to by it after being a long term AVG user Well i just installed it on my new work PC and it caused the PC to crash and destroyed my Windows 7 64bit OS.

Thanks a bloody lot i can assure you that i will be returning to AVG and doing nothing but suggesting others do the same also!!!!!

• 3. Re: Mcafee 8.7 - installation crash

Robhod,

The McAfee Home Users software is not compatible with servers or 64 bit machines.

You should have first chcked the compatibility instead of directly going ahead and buying an incompatible software and then blaming McAfee for the end result !!!

Message was edited by: sameer172006 on 2/14/10 10:40:59 AM CST

Message was edited by: sameer172006 on 2/19/10 3:20:07 PM CST
              • 4. Re: Mcafee 8.7 - installation crash

It seems that you had a blue screen on either upgrading or installing 8.7i fresh. It's not possible to determine the cause of the crash without a memory dump. Please set the system to collect complete dump, run VSE 8.7i repost with Patch 2 installation and send the memory dump to McAfee support.