5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2009 6:43 AM by KennyAtha

How do I reduce frequent scans?

I use my laptop once or twice weekly, and every time I boot it up the virus scan starts, which bogs the laptop down so much I have to turn it off. Even when I let the scan complete, the next time I boot it starts the scan again.  Help!!

• 1. Re: How do I reduce frequent scans?
          exbrit

Double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter

Click Advanced Menu (bottom)

Click Configure (left)

Click Computer & Files (top left)

Click Advanced (right)

Click Scheduled Scan (left)

Disable or alter the scheduled scan in the right-hand pane.

• 2. Re: How do I reduce frequent scans?
            Dinz

Hi,

Since the laptop is been turned on once or twice a week , Could you confirm whether its the McAfee scan or the McAfee Update taking place?
            During the process do you see an animated icon spinning at the lower right bottom corner of the computer ?

Regards,
            Dinesh K
            McAfee Online Community Moderator

• 3. Re: How do I reduce frequent scans?

thanks for the reply. I see an animated icon spinning at the lower right bottom corner. The program does seem to update a lot but the scans are what bogs the computer down.

• 4. Re: How do I reduce frequent scans?

Thanks.  I did all that but now am wondering...do I have to remember to manually scan the computer every month or two, or will it alert me somehow?  Thanks again

• 5. Re: How do I reduce frequent scans?
                  exbrit

It will eventually tell you that you haven't run a scan in the last 30 days, unless you tell it to ignore that.

The animated icon will appear at least once daily as that is how often the updates come in.

If you are low on RAM you will find this "bogging down" problem is prevalent.   Since I upped mine the problem has disappeared.

The minimum is 256mb but I recommend at least 1gb, preferably more due to modern applications demanding more and more memory space and that's not just McAfee.