1 2 Previous Next 11 Replies Latest reply: Dec 15, 2009 5:26 AM by Ex_Brit RSS

Windows 7 Compatible?

Currently running McAfee in Windows Vista. When i try installing same in Windows 7 64Bit I receive a compatibility error. I did not attempt to finish the install. Why an I receiving this? What do I have to do to install McAfee in Windows 7 64bit??

Error Message:

This program has known compatibity issues. McAfee Security Center in incompatible with this version of windows. For more info contact Mcafee

I checked online for solutions from Microsoft and none found.

I am running McAfee:

Security center  9.15

Virus Scan 13.15

Firewall 10.15

• 1. Re: Windows 7 Compatible?

It doesn't give you the option to continue anyway?  It should as any version above 9.11 is compatible with Windows 7 both x86 and x64.  I have it installed on mine.

If there is no option then you might want to try saving the DMSETUP to the desktop.  Right-click and select Properties.  Unblock, click Apply and OK.

Then right-click and select "Run as Administrator".    It's a been a while so I can't remember if I had to do that or not, sorry.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 13/12/09 11:33:45 EST AM
          • 2. Re: Windows 7 Compatible?

thanks Peter..

Yes I had the option to continue. I went ahead with the install. Computer/files and emeil/IM show protected but I continue to receive an alert about incompatible McAfee drivers. The McAfee personal firewall driver is being blocked as imcompatible with Windows & so no internet and network protection. Do you receive that on your Win7 install?  Is there a solution?  I'm left to wonder why such issues arise during what should be a simple install.. The thing is the app installed and runs perfoect on my Vista system.. So much for Win7 being improved.. At least in this experience ))-:

• 3. Re: Windows 7 Compatible?

Remove everything through Control Panel/Programs and run the MCPR tool here: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

Then install using the method I just described from your online account, not any CD that you may have.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 13/12/09 1:06:02 EST PM
              • 4. Re: Windows 7 Compatible?

A thought just struck me.  We are talking about the final RTM version of Windows 7 I hope?  If not then all bets are off as anything can happen with beta products.

• 5. Re: Windows 7 Compatible?

This is not a beta, It's a full version that came pre-installed on a brand new HP PC. Home profressional. Went through the McAfee online remove and re-install process and now the firewall works but the rest of the services failed so no virus or email  protection.. Ya can't make this stuff up..  Any ideas?  I can't beleive it's taking me hours to wander through this.. Very frustrating.. Makes me think of those apple comercials..

• 6. Re: Windows 7 Compatible?

One other note.. before attempting this install I removed the Norton software  offer that came with the computer..

• 7. Re: Windows 7 Compatible?

bren582 wrote:

One other note.. before attempting this install I removed the Norton software  offer that came with the computer..

When you ran MCPR tool did it state that it had removed everything successfully and did you reboot immediately as instructed, if no to either then go through the process again.

Run the Norton removal tool too: http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039/

If that doesn't help then I suggest you contact Technical Support Chat and they can connect with your machine and see what's wrong.  McAfee Support (top of page) > Home and Home Office Support > Technical Support > Chat

• 8. Re: Windows 7 Compatible?

No, It says the removal is incomplete and must reboot to finish removing. Reboot several times and same thing, Run removal tool several times rebooting each time and and same thing.

• 9. Re: Windows 7 Compatible?

If you are using the latest version of MCPR from here: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

and it's not working then I would contact Technical Support Chat immediately.

1 2 Previous Next