1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 14, 2009 2:41 AM by krajagop

Passwords gone - help!!!

On our windows XP desktop, all of the passwords are suddenly no good at the Welcome screen.  Could this be caused by any viruses out there?  Possibly a malicious program?  My son keeps downloading stuff and it's possible he installed something with this hidden inside.  I can't get into the kid's computer at all - nothing past the welcome screen.  What do I do?

• 1. Re: Passwords gone - help!!!

what happens if you reboot the machine into Safe mode and try logging in with your password?In addition to the regular user accounts you should also have access to the administrator account which was set up when windows was first installed. This account should be useful in logging on and re-setting your user accounts.

To use a Safe Boot option, follow these steps:

1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press the F8 key when the Boot Menu appears.
          2. Select an option when the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, and then press ENTER.
          3. When the Boot menu appears again, and the words "Safe Mode" appear in blue at the bottom, select the installation that you want to start, and then press ENTER.