6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2009 7:01 AM by sthayden

Lotus Domino Server fails after VSE 8.7i installed

Hi All,

Since i upgraded VirusScan Enterprise on our Lotus Domino Server (5.0.8), the services will no longer start.

Has anyone had any issues with this and manage to resolve it?

The exact service that is failing is "Lotus Domino Server (notesdata) - nserver.exe".

Cheers in advance!

• 1. Re: Lotus Domino Server fails after VSE 8.7i installed

The things I would be looking at:

Did you install the "Lotus Notes" scanner as part of the install? Not appropriate for a Domino server - and may cause the service to not start.

Turn off the "Access Protection", and try to start the service again. Perhaps there is an Access Protection rule that is triggering.

Does the McAfee icon get a red halo around it? If so, check the logs for any notifications.

Also, are there any errors in Event Viewer?

• 2. Re: Lotus Domino Server fails after VSE 8.7i installed

Hi,

First thing i tried was disable the on-access scanner but this doesn't seem to have changed anything.

I havn't specially installed the Lotus Scanner... so unless it is included by default then no.

Nothing in the Events Logs apart from stating that the service fails to start and there isn't any halos or alerts on the McAfee icons.

Do you think it would be wise to add the installation path of Lotus Domino to the exceptions list?

On a side note - No one here, including myself, have any experience with Lotus Notes. This was bought in for a Registrar system several years ago by a third party who have since dropped support for it...

• 3. Re: Lotus Domino Server fails after VSE 8.7i installed

I think it is installed by default. Check the VSE Console, and see if "On Delivery Email Scanner" is installed. You should be able to remove it by using the Modify option when you run the installer again.

I've installed VSE 8.5 and 8.7 on several Domino servers without issues, so your problem does seem a little weird.I doubt adding the Domino path to the Exclusions list will help, but also worth a try.

I presume you've tried rebooting and standard tips like that?

• 4. Re: Lotus Domino Server fails after VSE 8.7i installed

Hey,

Yeah, tried simple things like rebooting as well.

This may sound like a silly question but... Should the Lotus Domino Server - NServer.exe service be running?

The only reason im looking at this is because its the only service installed for Lotus notes... but when i come to think about it doing my preinstallation checks for VSE... i think that service was already stopped.

The error i get when trying to start that service (uninstalled VSE now and its still happening) is "Could not star the Lotus Domino Server (notesdata) service on Local Computer. Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly."

• 5. Re: Lotus Domino Server fails after VSE 8.7i installed

Notes can either be started using the Lotus Domino Service (which uses nserver.exe), or by running the executable called nserver.exe

Usually the service is used as it allows Domino to continue running when someone logs off on the server, as well as some other benefits.

I suspect this problem wasn't caused by McAfee being upgraded, and is a domino specific issue. You might get some support at the Lotus 4/5 Support forum : http://www-10.lotus.com/ldd/46dom.nsf?OpenDatabase&S_TACT=105AGX13&S_CMP=LP  , although be aware that Domino 5 is now about 4 years out of support (http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21117092 ) and getting assistance may be difficult.

• 6. Re: Lotus Domino Server fails after VSE 8.7i installed
                    sthayden

Lotus does not play well with McAfee as I have found, but it is Lotus and it doesn't really play well in general. You may want to make sure that under the On Delivery Email Scan Option on the Notes Scanner Settings that both the check boxes under there are unchecked. Check and see if the NCDaemon.exe process is running on the server, if it is, that is the Notes scanner from McAfee. I know it causes issues with the clients and I wouldnt doubt that it would cause similar issues on the Domino server. Make sure you switch it to the server option rather then the Workstation option otherwise your settings wont make a difference.