9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2010 11:43 AM by SafeBoot Branched from an earlier discussion.

Re: RE: Safeboot 3.5 server?

I have a second-hand PC with exactly the same error-message:

Starting SafeBoot version 3.5

Then:

Failed to open LAYER_KEY rc=5b050006
          Error accessing the Safeboot file system:
          Expected (FID=0010, SEQ=0), Actual (FID=0000, SEQ=0)

[Probably caused by a faulty fan / power-supply]

I know the password, but don't have a copy of SafeTech.exe or sbalg.dlm

Please can you ZIP them and email to me?  Thank-you.

• 1. Re: RE: Safeboot 3.5 server?

do you have the corporate database entry for this machine, or the recovery blob for it? Without that there's not much you can do, or rather, nothing at all you can do.

• 2. Re: RE: Safeboot 3.5 server?

No, I just have the PC and password.

Surely there is some way to repair the disk, so it prompts for password again?  I understand the database-entry is needed to reset the password, but I know the password.

Any help / suggestions appreciated: I need the files on the disk!

Thank-you.

• 3. Re: RE: Safeboot 3.5 server?

It might be possible, it depends how corrupted the SafeBoot file system is. If we could find enough data, like the token and user sections, we could in theory use your password to decrypt the machine key, and from that decrypt the drive.

Of course, all this is theoretical seeing as you are using a product released I think over 10 years ago and out of support for probably 7. There are only a couple of people in the world with the skill set to do that kind of low level recovery, I'm not sure if they would be even interested in helping, I will ask though. Send me some more information about whether this is a personal thing or being done at a corporate level, it may change how willing they are to help you, and how much it will cost.

• 4. Re: RE: Safeboot 3.5 server?

This is a personal thing.

The PC has been working for years (hence old version).  The power-supply started cutting-out last week.  I've booted from floppy and run a diagnostic-program: all hard-disk sectors read OK.   I hope most of the file-system is OK.  (The drive is only 40GB).

Any way of repairing safeboot would be appreciated, otherwise all my data is lost, so I'd need to re-format the drive (or just buy another PC).  Please let me know cost, and if you need access to the actual PC, or can send me a program to run.  I live in England: http://www.mcafee.com/uk/about/contact/uk.html

Thank-you very much.

• 5. Recover Personal SB3.5 Machine

I think you are going to be out of luck. No one it seems is really interested in taking on a recovery of such an old program, and even if they were, I think you'd be looking at $$$ to write all the code to do it. If you can find the recovery blob, it's a trivial thing to fix, but without it, the product is doing what it was told to do - securing your data.

It's not something McAfee can help with - that product pre-dates McAfee by many years, and pre-dates most of the staff by 7 years as well. Your company had the ability to recover your machine at one time I guess - maybe they can get the recovery blob from their archives for you?

Message was edited by: SafeBoot on 12/10/09 3:25:00 PM GMT-05:00
                  • 6. Re: Recover Personal SB3.5 Machine

[1]  I've managed to get the SBxxxxxx.xxx file (a text-file containing hex-data of original-MBR, keys etc).  Is this the recovery-blob / database-entry I need?

[2]  I've managed to get safetech.exe -- when run, it asks for an "Authorisation-Code"?

Please help.  Thank-you.

• 7. Re: Recover Personal SB3.5 Machine

I guess the first thing to do is check some sectors to make sure you can decrypt them using the workspace - this will tell you if you have the right database file. Re the code, your company maintained a strict non-disclosure clause so I can't give that to you without their permission, so get someone to send me an email from their work address asking for it and I'll forward it back to them. I still have the list of authorized people in the archive.

• 8. Re: Recover Personal SB3.5 Machine

[1]  The SBxxxxxx.xxx filename matches what used to appear on the login-screen; I’m fairly sure it’s associated with the drive.

[2]  The file (for version 3.5) is from 2003!
                        To recap: I know the password, I’m just trying to repair after a power-cut.
                        Is there no simple way to do this?  (Or for your England office to do this, without telling me the “Authorisation Code”?)  I seem to keep hitting hurdles – checking individual sectors sounds hard work.  You said it was a trivial thing to fix.  I’m very sad that a tiny power-cut has lost everything on the drive.  Please consider how I can repair it – very grateful.  Thank-you.

• 9. Re: Recover Personal SB3.5 Machine

you need to check the sectors to ensure you have the right file - if you don't, you run the risk of screwing things up beyond help.

There is no "England Office" for SafeBoot any more remember, and your product has been unsupported for the best part of 10 years now. Your company helpdesk could fix it for you I guess pretty easily, but we moved off this product in 2001.

No, this is not fixable, your only recourse is to decrypt the drive and hope that nothing else got corrupted (and that in the time you had the product you didn't do anything like change the partition sizes etc.)

So, once you get the auth code, it could be as simple as loading up SafeTech off a floppy, choosing Values from SDB (or whatever the old option was called, I forget now), and then Emergency Boot, BUT, there's a lot of if's involved.