5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2010 9:06 AM by rcambrid

randseed.rnd on Mac

sthayden

We have Anti-Malware for Mac installed on about 109 machines here. We also use Juniper for our VPN and the Host Checker portion checks for updated AV and a running Firewall on the machine. The way we have had Host Checker setup to check for AV being updated on the Mac's is to have it check the randseed.rnd that is located in the \library\McAfee\CMA folder. It has been setup like this for a long time. Now, we are getting reports that Host Checker is failing due to AV being out of date yet AV is showing the latest DAT. Now, I looked in the \bin folder which is one directory deeper in the CMA directory and there was a randseed.rnd file there that was just updated today at the same time I ran the update now. Is this a change to how it was previously? Is this where we will need to point host checker from now on?

• 1. Re: randseed.rnd on Mac
          rcambrid

I'm currently looking into this for you.

I can also see the random number seed file in the /bin folder on my Mac running VirusScan for Mac 9 (Anti-malware). I have a call in with Dev to see why the location has changed and will update you when I have more info.

Out of interest, have you made any changes to these Macs recently? For example, upgraded from MA 4.0 to 4.5? Let me know if anything has changed in your environment which might be pertinent.

Cheers!

Rod.

• 2. Re: randseed.rnd on Mac
            sthayden

When we were looking into this, nothing had yet changed. We have since started upgrading the clients and the agents, but this is actually the issue that prompted us into looking into this a bit more. The reason we even have to use this file for Host Checker is because of the root access to the actual update folder under CMA. If there is a better way to verify that a client is updated without having to have root access, please let me know.

• 3. Re: randseed.rnd on Mac
              sthayden

I guess it's time to revisit this issue. We are now running the McAfee Agent 4.5 on all Macs and the most updated version of McAfee Security for Mac...

• 4. Re: randseed.rnd on Mac
                rcambrid

Hiya - I've put another request in regarding this issue as I didn't get a response initially. I'm guessing I won't get anything back before Monday now, but I'll update you as soon as I hear.

Thanks,

Rod.

• 5. Re: randseed.rnd on Mac
                  rcambrid

I think the best way forward for you on this would be to raise a ticket with McAfee technical support regarding this issue.

Hopefully having an official case number will get you an answer.

Thanks and best regards,

Rod.