7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2009 8:38 AM by billey100

master repository im just not getting it

I am new to Mcafee and my organization.  They had 8.5i installed on 100 pc's across the org but with no central management.  We purchased everything to do 8.7 on the dekstops and I have muddled my way through installing the ePO on a server here.  I have been able to kind of figure out how to push the agent out half successfully to most computers.  My best success has been to run the framepkg on the pc itself, once thats there I can wakeup the agent from epo in my office and I have a task set to install 8.7.  Seems to be working great, I have no idea if it really is setup properly or best practices for mcafee or not but it seems to be going ok.

Here is my question as I dont quite get the concept of how the flow of this works.  Why is there a master repository and how does it function?  Maybe this will help me figure out why when I log into ePO on my dashboard it says the master repository is not up to date?  My desktops that do have mcafee installed are going out daily at 5pm to autoupdate and it says it was successful but when i check the log it never really changed anything as it says the engine, dat, and others were not in the repository?  I dont see anything in the master repos to setup to grab the latest everyday?  Is that how it is supposed to function, the master grabs the latest by some sort of automated task and then the dekstops use that to update?

Sorry guys I need this on the lowest level possible, I just dont get concept yet, nor do I know if what I have is setup properly in the first place.  I do have support and I have a chatted a few times but they always refer me to the manual and as much as I have read that 300 page document its not making sense.  I need some real world best practices from someone who has this installed.  Thanks

• 1. Re: master repository im just not getting it
          GWIRT

The master repository is what holds all software and updates that can be sent to clients. You can manage it by going to Software -> Master Repository.

From there you can check in the install files for things like VSE and HIP to be deployed to clients via Deployment client tasks in the System Tree. You can also populate the master repository with DATs, Engines, signature updates, etc. by doing a pull now, or you can go to Automation -> Server Tasks to schedule the "Update Master Repository" task. From there you will need to schedule an Update client task, again in the System Tree to update the DATs, Engine, etc.

Hope that helps.

• 2. Re: master repository im just not getting it

Thanks Greg that is helpful in understanding how it works.  But bottom line with so many parts and pieces to VSE that it is apparently looking for and not knowing what I am looking for how am I supposed to know that I have everything setup right for all the automation to take place.  Why does this have to be so complicated and require so many things checked into the repository.  I get what they are trying to do but honestly the concept is when I install the epo and the vse should it not know enough already just by me checking in VSE in the first place that I want it updated with the current defs at least once a day?  What good does vse do without getting updated I mean why would you make those separate processes who would install vse and then never somehow turn on updates?  Why doesnt epo just go get defs for vse and push them to the clients automaitcally by just clicking a button or enabling one radio button?  Why do I have to check something in, schedule that to go out and look for the latest, then go to the system tree and tell that to also go look all the time?  Am I missing something that makes more sense of this?

I get the master rep for client deployments and I have checked in agent 4.5 and vse 8.7 and scheduled the tasks for when I wake an agent up. That makes sense b/c it is a one time deal although still seems cumbersome to me as being a few extra steps.  But I guess I need a step by step of exactly what is needed to ensure 8.7 is getting the latest updates (complete with everything to the desktop).  I cant find a article on that other than how to check in things all together.

• 3. Re: master repository im just not getting it
              GWIRT

ePO is designed to be scaleable to 100,000+ node deployments and needs a lot of granular configurability to accommodate that. The default dashboard should be helpful in determining what your compliance status is (we tried to make it easy to read). As for just automatically scheduling pulls and updates, in some environments this could cause a serious issue as it could potentially flood WAN links and bring networks down. This is why we don't set this up by default and give you the scheduling ability to accommodate your environment.

ePO is a bit complicated when first being introduced to it, but the best thing I can suggest is going through the Product Guide to understand how all the pieces work together. It's really the only way you are going to get a grasp on how to set everything up.

Hope this helps.

• 4. Re: master repository im just not getting it

Thanks Greg I dont mean to sound like its not a good product but like you said its very complicated.  I get that with complexity comes scalability but I don't feel like the guide provides a general take a step back and see how the over all picture looks to explain it for newbies.  It walks me through each piece if I need to flip to it and really not low enough for me to figure out sometimes but it also doesnt really lay out a good flow chart of how stuff is supposed to be done from start to finish.  Such as maybe I am missing it in the guide but on the page of downloads I have no idea what I am looking at or which one to use to checkin for DAT updates, there are a hundred downloads there?  It just says sure go grab the DAT updates download and check it in like theres one someplace no big deal.  It's not easy figuring out what stuff to check in on top of figuring when I do get it in there, to make sure I have the three layers configured properly to automate everything consitently.  I need barney level steps at first apparently.

Support chat has been less than helpful as well, I have gotten more useful info from your discussion info than they will give me there.

Message was edited by: billey100 on 12/9/09 2:13:49 PM CST
                • 5. Re: master repository im just not getting it
                  GWIRT

As for all the updates (excluding product Patches and HotFixes), just do a "Pull Now" from the "Master Repository" page. this will get everything you need in the master repository for you to begin keeping everything up-to-date.

• 6. Re: master repository im just not getting it

I finally got one of the chat guys to hang with me long enough to figure out that for whatever reason my license key wasnt working?  Even though I used it to install the product from the get go something wasnt working.  As soon as he applied that my dahsboard fixed itself and I now have the most current DAT's.  So now my desktops are getting this as the log after running at 5pm.  I am halfway there but what is vscanceu1000, extradat1000, and bocvse_1000 thats it is still missing in the second to last line below?  And if I do need them where do I find them.

12/9/2009 5:01:00 PM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Starting task: AutoUpdate
                    12/9/2009 5:01:01 PM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Checking update packages from repository ePO_****.
                    12/9/2009 5:01:01 PM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Initializing update...
                    12/9/2009 5:01:02 PM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Verifying catalog.z.
                    12/9/2009 5:01:02 PM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Extracting catalog.z.
                    12/9/2009 5:01:02 PM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Loading update configuration from: catalog.xml
                    12/9/2009 5:01:03 PM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM These updates will be applied if they are in the repository:  Engine, DAT, VSCANCEU1000, EXTRADAT1000, BOCVSE__1000, VIRUSCAN8700.
                    12/9/2009 5:01:03 PM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Downloading PkgCatalog.z.
                    12/9/2009 5:01:03 PM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Verifying PkgCatalog.z.
                    12/9/2009 5:01:03 PM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Extracting PkgCatalog.z.
                    12/9/2009 5:01:03 PM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Loading update configuration from: PkgCatalog.xml
                    12/9/2009 5:01:04 PM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Verifying V2engdet.mcs.
                    12/9/2009 5:01:04 PM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Product(s) running the latest Engine.
                    12/9/2009 5:01:04 PM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Downloading PkgCatalog.z.
                    12/9/2009 5:01:04 PM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Verifying PkgCatalog.z.
                    12/9/2009 5:01:04 PM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Extracting PkgCatalog.z.
                    12/9/2009 5:01:04 PM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Loading update configuration from: PkgCatalog.xml
                    12/9/2009 5:01:05 PM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Verifying V2datdet.mcs.
                    12/9/2009 5:01:05 PM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Product(s) running the latest DATs.
                    12/9/2009 5:01:05 PM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Verifying VSE870Det.McS.
                    12/9/2009 5:01:05 PM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Searching available updates for McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7.0.
                    12/9/2009 5:01:05 PM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM The following packages were not in the repository:  VSCANCEU1000, EXTRADAT1000, BOCVSE__1000.
                    12/9/2009 5:01:05 PM NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Update Finished

Message was edited by: billey100 on 12/10/09 8:38:55 AM CST
                    • 7. Re: master repository im just not getting it
                      GWIRT

This is a normal error message and nothing to worry about as per KB53932.

1 of 1 people found this helpful