2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2009 12:06 PM by Steve.SmithP

Comparing Results from Two Different Reports

Hello VM Community.

It's nice to see a forum dedicated to McAfee Vulnerability Manager.

Now, on to my issue. I have a situation where I have two different reports that I want to do a delta comparison. I am looking for an automated method to determine which new vulnerabilities are present, and which vulnerabilities have been resolved.

Does anyone know of a method in Foundstone that can perform this comparison? Is this option isn't available in Foundstone, can anyone suggest another tool to perform this comparison?

I am running Foundstone Version 6.5

- Steve

• 1. Re: Comparing Results from Two Different Reports
          jhaynes

Hi Steve,

I hope I'm not misunderstanding your question but what I think you are asking is already available in the product. Now that MVM has moved to a asset centric model instead of scan centric you can generate an asset delta report.

I've attached the 6.5 Enterpirse Manager Admin Guide to this post. You can read about the different delta report options starting on page 46.

If this doesn't answer you question let us know and add in where the asset delta report doesn't solve your issue and I'll try and help.

Jeff Haynes

Steve.SmithP wrote:

Hello VM Community.

It's nice to see a forum dedicated to McAfee Vulnerability Manager.

Now, on to my issue. I have a situation where I have two different reports that I want to do a delta comparison. I am looking for an automated method to determine which new vulnerabilities are present, and which vulnerabilities have been resolved.

Does anyone know of a method in Foundstone that can perform this comparison? Is this option isn't available in Foundstone, can anyone suggest another tool to perform this comparison?

I am running Foundstone Version 6.5

- Steve

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Comparing Results from Two Different Reports

Thanks for the response Jeffery,

Yes, I agree that the Report Generation tool in Foundstone 6.5 will allow me to generate delta reports of assets within our database. But in this case I’m actually trying to do is compare two Foundstone CSV reports that are no longer in our primary database (they are located in an archived database from a few years ago).

I've been talking to my team here we've talked about possibly using the FSDBUtil to import the old scans back into our primary database. This may become a viable option, but for now, I am trying to keep the old data out of our primary database.

I am now looking into writing a bash script in Linux that will compare the two CSVs and provide a single delta report (CSV). This may be the best option for now.

Thanks

Steve