4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2010 6:27 AM by rmarin

Inconsistencies with system tray icons

EPO Server is at  4.0 SP5, Clients are running McAfee Agent 4.00.1494 and VSE 8.7.0.570  (SP2). 

I am seeing inconsistencies on how the system tray icons are appearing.  (These are all 32 bit machines).  The policies are set to show the agent Icon to appear.  On some machines you get the “M” icon as it should be with the current policy settings.  On other machines you see just the VS shield.  On others you have the two separate shield icons.  On one machine for example, two days ago at startup there were the two separate icons, yesterday the machine had the “M” icon.  Today this machine is back to the two separate icons.

• 1. Re: Inconsistencies with system tray icons
          GWIRT

If you don't see the "M" icon, the 2 most likely reasons for this are 1. The McTray.exe process isn't running or 2. You are RDPing to the machine and in a SessionID other that 0 (console). If it's the first scenario, then try manually executing the ..\Program Files\McAfee\Common Framework\McTray.exe file to see if it fixes the problem. If so, we will need to determine why it wasn't loaded (e.g. it crashed, it didn't start with the system, etc.). As for the second, this is by design.

In the cases you see the 2 Vshield icons, one of them is most likely a systray "ghost" and will go away if you mouse over it.

Hope this helps.

• 2. Re: Inconsistencies with system tray icons

Thanks for the input.  A couple of machines I thought had the problem didn't because of the RDPing.  Howerver the initial machine I seen this on still has the problem.  The MCTRAY.EXE is loaded.  If I turn off Access Protection and kill the task, and relaunch MCTRAY.EXE the two icons will be replaced by the single "M".  Somedays it will boot with the "M" and other days it will boot with the Virus Scan Shield, and the seperate icon for the agent.

• 3. Re: Inconsistencies with system tray icons
              GWIRT

It sounds like on a couple of machines mctray.exe is having an issue hooking the systray icons. I haven't seen this before, but it could be a load order issue. If you have any machines that consistently show this issue it might be a good idea to open a support ticket so we can get to the bottom of this.

Hope this helps.

• 4. Re: Inconsistencies with system tray icons

Hello,

Did you finally open a support ticket with this? I am having a very similar problem with McAfee Agent 4.5 and VSE 8.5 P8.

Thank you very much.