1 2 Previous Next 12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2009 7:06 AM by Dinz

McAfee Shell Errors

Has anyone experienced the following error when attempting to configure any of the areas within McAfee Security Center? Error: "McAfee MISP Shell has encountered a problem and needs to close."  Then McAfee Security Center closes and that's it. If you have experienced this problem, do you have a workable solution? I think it could be conflicts with existing programs and/or scripting issues. Anybody???

• 1. Re: McAfee Shell Errors

Hi David,

I have moved this to our SecurityCenter 2009 area. Hopefully someone can help you soon.

• 2. Re: McAfee Shell Errors
            Mohan

Hi David,

Can you explain when you get this message. Are you trying to access any specific option / feature in security center or does this error message popup automatically.

Also what is the version of IE installed on the computer.Also try the below steps and let me know if your issue get resolved.

Also try to reset your Internet Explorer to default settings and check if you still face the issue.

Regards,

Mohan.B

McAfee Tier-2.5 Lead.

• 3. Re: McAfee Shell Errors

Mohan,

Whenever I attempt to configure any of the home options (Computer & Files; Internet & Network; Email & IM; Parental Controls), under the change options, configure button - once selected and Security Center is collecting configuration details, a pop-up with that error message occurs. I'm running IE v.8 with Google Chrome installed and have tried resetting IE to the default settings and it hasn't helped. I've also uninstalled a spy-ware program plus Ad-aware as I suspected it may be causing conflicts with Security Center and that hasn't helped either. I'm at a loss as to what to try next - ergo, my post to this community website. Any other ideas? I'm open to any suggestions that make sense.

Thanks,

David S.

• 4. Re: McAfee Shell Errors
                Mohan

Hi David,

There are couple of things that I would suggest you to try. First try to do a windows updates and try installing the "High Priority Updates" for your computer. Most of the issues with MISP shell errors that we have noticed happens due to IE8.

Another scenario that we have noticed is MISP shell error caused due to Malware.

Regards,

Mohan.B

McAfee Tier-2.5 lead

• 5. Re: McAfee Shell Errors

Thank you Mohan. I'm up to date on all my windows updates. I don't believe I have any Malware on my PC but one never knows for sure anymore. I'm going to do a virus scan using McAfee and see what happens. Do you know of any script issues regarding this MISP Shell error? Again, I'm really at a loss. If I can't make some headway on this issue I may contact McAfee's support team.

Thanks again,

David S.

• 6. Re: McAfee Shell Errors
                    Mohan

Hi David,

No I am not aware of scripting issues that may cause MISP Shell Errors.

• 7. Re: McAfee Shell Errors

Hi David,

This error normally occurs during McAfee installation on computers where  MsXml 3 and 4 are either corrupted or not installed properly.

You can try

Step 1 :   To Install Msxml 3 -

from link :  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=28494391-052B-42FF-9674 -F752BDCA9582&displaylang=en                       

Install only Msxml3.msi  ( 1 MB file )

Step 2 :  Restart the computer ( important )

Step 3 : Install Msxml 4 -

from link :   http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=3144b72b-b4f2-46da-b4b6 -c5d7485f2b42&displaylang=en

Install only msxml.msi  ( 5 MB file )

Step 4 : Restart the computer ( Important )

Check if you are still encountering the same problem,

Check for any infections

• 8. Re: McAfee Shell Errors

Hi Mahesh,

I did as you instructed and installed Msxml 3 - restarted my computer then installed Msxml 4 - and restarted my computer, then tried to configuring McAfee Security Center and got the same Shell Error.

Thanks for trying though.

David S.

• 9. Re: McAfee Shell Errors

David - How old is your computer 

1 2 Previous Next