5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2010 11:20 AM by upstone

Personal Security???

While surfing a website I had a program called Personal Security forced on me.  This software downloaded and installed itself inspite of hitting the X, the cancel button and anything else I tried.  It proceeded to "scan" my PC and then told me that I had several malware, adware and trojans.  It would not unistall.  It said that I had to buy (register) the program to allow me to uninstall it.  I tried to delete the folder (Psecurity under program files) with the application in it but it came up with permission denied.  I then switched to DOS and tried to delete the .exe file, and once again it responded with permission denied.

I think? that I have rid my system of this by restoring it to the previous day.  I have unplugged if from the internet and am in process of scanning it with McAfee.  How can I be sure?

• 1. Re: Personal Security???

hi,

Post edited by MOD- these tools are not to be run in a ad-hoc manner.

Message was edited by: paullotion on 29/03/10 20:33:46 IST
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Personal Security???

I experienced the same problem with the "Personal Security" software.  After researching several possible solutions, I decided that manually removing this malware by editing the registry was not for me.  PC Magazine reviewed several free programs that would scan the hard drive and remove Malware.  Based on PC Magazine's review and ratings by others who had used the program, I selected Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.  I downloaded the free version, ran it and was pleased with the result.  It removed "Personal Security" and my problems were eliminated.

To see PC Magazine's review of this program, follow this link:  http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2345353,00.asp

You can download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware program from several sites, but I elected to go directly to their website.  http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Message was edited by: upstone on 1/4/10 10:12:30 AM CST
            • 3. Re: Personal Security???

I have the same thing on my computer! Very annoying, only difference is that it won't let me access all your suggested sites (including McAfee help center), It displays message saying "website has been reported unsafe" screen shot attached.

Any one know how to outsmart this?

• 4. Re: Personal Security???

Here are more screen shots of the stupid virus

• 5. Re: Personal Security???

As I recall, I had to be persistent and clear the error message/block generated by "Personal Security" and try to enter the sites multiple times.  I was eventually able to get to the sites, read the reviews and download the software.  If you still can't get to the websites, an alternative would be to ask a friend to download the software for you and place it on a CD or other media so you can install & run it on your PC.

Good luck.

PS: Its been several months since I ran the free version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware software to erradicate "Personal Security" from my PC; everything is running fine.