1 2 Previous Next 11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2010 10:32 AM by mohancn

Autodomain and SMS push on Windows Vista

We are planning to deploy EE 5.2 and Autodomain 5.23 on Windows Vista through Windows SMS service. We are pushing the EE SMS package and installation using Admin credentials. We have run into the following issue:

EE 5.2 installs fine and for some reason autodomain starts Internet Explorer setup wizard ( IE 8.0) - I think it is something to do with SMS service using local system account to install EE package. Our main issue is that our end users don't have enough credentials to change IE settings and autodomain fails to capture end user's AD credentials.

Is there a way to install EE client software + Autodomain using Windows local admin credentials (i.e don't run autodomain.exe during the EE package installation) and later we will launch autodomain.exe using end user's SMS context ( another SMS package, which runs under user's context)

Has anyone run into this issue and any solution to this problem ?

Other  alternatives we are considering:

1. Is there a way to make an MSI package out of EEPC.exe ? ( MSI package can be pushed using user's context and privilage can be elevated during SMS installation). This may solve our issue.

2. Split the EEPC installation: i.e first install EEPC SMS package later install autodomain SMS package using admin context.  Finally third SMS package which launches autodomain.exe using user's context.

• 1. Re: Autodomain and SMS push on Windows Vista

a ) you can run AD any time you like - it will fix stuff as it goes along. Many people deploy EEPC in autoboot mode, then run AD at some point some how to turn it into pre-boot secure mode.

1) Sure, there are lots of MSI packaging software tools, just use the one you are most familiar with. It's easier to pack the exe into the MSI rather than the component files, as MSI is not very good at deploying filter drivers.

2) I would deploy it all at once, just don't deploy the autodomain as a pre-install helper, just deploy it as a basic file. You can then run it whenever you feel like it. 

• 2. Re: Autodomain and SMS push on Windows Vista

Going back to the root cause of why you're considering deploying via SMS (IE Setup popping up)... AutoDomain attempts to launch an HTML page, so its calling Internet Explorer, so if you've never setup IE before that setup window is going to pop up instead. It seems odd that a user has never used Internet Explorer before, so my question would be: are you testing this on freshly imaged test machines with Vista that are not indicative of your production environment where a user has already been happily using IE?

• 3. Re: Autodomain and SMS push on Windows Vista

IE 8.0 is configured to run under user context properly, it doesn't launch IE setup wizard.

• 4. Re: Autodomain and SMS push on Windows Vista

> 2) I would deploy it all at once, just don't deploy the autodomain as a pre-install helper, just deploy it as a basic file. You can then run it whenever you feel like it. 

How do i deploy autodomain as non pre-install helper, is there a configuration setting ?. Are you referring to manually pushing autodomain files, registering DLLs and launching autodomain.exe ?.

On another note, is autodomain launching IE 8.0 pop-up (pre-install helper - password pop-up window) consistently on Vista.

Thanks,

Mohan.

• 5. Re: Autodomain and SMS push on Windows Vista

Mohan, to make autodomain.exe a "regular" file instead of pre/post-install helper ... here's what you do

1. Log into admin console
                  2. Go to system tab
                  3. Go to file groups
                  4. Open your autodomain file group
                  5. Double-click on autodomain.exe to view its properties
                  6. One of the properties is file type. It is a drop down list. Just choose "windows file". You will also see pre-install helper executable. You don't want that one.

This will allow your script to be part of the install. Then your SMS package simply has to find the autodomain.exe file and execute it. The idea is to simplify your SMS package.

Message was edited by: DLarson on 12/9/09 9:10:47 AM GMT-06:00
                  1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Autodomain and SMS push on Windows Vista

you don't have to push the script (or exe) via EEM - you can put it there with SMS itself.

also, don't forget that the EXE is just the VBS wrapped up - you may find it easier just to use the .vbs itself.

• 7. Re: Autodomain and SMS push on Windows Vista

Thanks for the tip.

Now as per your tip, i have selected autodomain.exe to be Regular file/Windows executable. Now i am running into following issue:

I am getting this "Error(3151): Input past end of file" consistently with the automain.exe being regular file package. I have also noticed few times autodomain process will be running and nothing happens. Sometimes, when i execute autodomain.exe manually and autodomain seems to run for sometime and exit without any updated autodomain log. Any insight ?

• 8. Re: Autodomain and SMS push on Windows Vista

If you are using 5.23, then its trying to read the whole client log. The file exists, but for some reason the script can't read it so I'm guessing you have a zero length file?

I never thought to check for that situation - I mean, if the file got created it should have some content yes? But I guess it's a viable position to be in. Just add a trap in that code for zero length and you should be fine. The routine is trying to work out if there's a delayed sync pending but it's hardly critical, and, if the client log has nothing in it, well, we're not going to know anyway eh?

I'll fix it later today and repost it as 5.24.

• 9. Re: Autodomain and SMS push on Windows Vista

Hi,

Is this new version of Auotdomain (v 5.24) published yet ?, which is suppose to addresses "Input past end of file" issue. I don't see this new version in usual download place. Can you give us the download link please.

Thanks.

1 2 Previous Next