1 2 Previous Next 10 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2011 9:46 AM by sgrimmel

Netshield eof 31 december 2009 How about the DAT files ?

Hello

We are using netshield for netware version 4.63 this product wil be eof end december this year.

Does this also mean that there wil be no more DAT (zip) updates files next year for this product ????

We will migrate next year to the Windows platform and we don't want to implement a complete new virusscanner for Netware for the short time

we will use netware next year. But if there are no DAT updates then we must replace netshield for something else

Greatings Marcel

• 1. Re: Netshield eof 31 december 2009 How about the DAT files ?

Presuming you are under McAfee support, you should contact your McAfee reseller or McAfee Account Manager and see if custom support can be purchased for Netshield for Netware to extend it's life until you remove Netware from your environement. Not sure if it's available, or the cost.

At the end of the year dat files won't (officially) be tested against Netshield for Netware. The V1 dat files used by Netshield for Netware are also end of life 31 March 2010, so you wouldn't be able to update after that date anyway.

As Netware itself is close to end of life (07 Mar 2010 is when it finishes General Support, with Extended support life-cycle for quite a few more years), having your plans in place for migration away (either to Suse or Windows or another platform) is pretty important.

There are very few virus scanners for Netware. Changing would be very difficult.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Netshield eof 31 december 2009 How about the DAT files ?
            zirani

If a Netware infrastructure is being kept in place past March 2010 would the use of a McAfee email and web security appliance provide some protection on the gateway? Any thoughts.

• 3. Re: Netshield eof 31 december 2009 How about the DAT files ?

I think it would give some protection at the gate of your network, but within your network you would like protection at the server in case a "unkown" client does not have a (up to date)  virusscanner.

• 4. Re: Netshield eof 31 december 2009 How about the DAT files ?

Hello

The netware servers will be replaced in march with Windows servers, for now the unsupported netshield is sufficient and a calculated risk.

• 5. Re: Netshield eof 31 december 2009 How about the DAT files ?

Hi

It may be possible to find a temporary solution for your NetShield issue. I would suggest taking this up with your McAfee rep.

Kind regards

• 6. Re: Netshield eof 31 december 2009 How about the DAT files ?

Does any one knows where to get the last / latest dat files. I have to redo a Server and the dats are very old. I have the Netshield Program. I also see under "My Products" some beta dats for Netware with "a-v-v" in front of them - what are they? will they work with on Netware 6.5SP8 if a rename them - Thank you in advance :-)

• 7. Re: Netshield eof 31 december 2009 How about the DAT files ?

The DAT files are also no longer supported.

Please refer to KnowledgeBase article KB68731  - End of Life for McAfee NetShield for NetWare.

• 8. Re: Netshield eof 31 december 2009 How about the DAT files ?

PhillipS.RSA wrote:

Does any one knows where to get the last / latest dat files. I have to redo a Server and the dats are very old. I have the Netshield Program. I also see under "My Products" some beta dats for Netware with "a-v-v" in front of them - what are they? will they work with on Netware 6.5SP8 if a rename them - Thank you in advance :-)

They are V2 dat files, and are for a specific purpose. They won't work with Netshield for Netware 4.6.3, and they will go missing in about a week.

Finding the last "supported" dat files may be difficult. I don't have a copy lying around.

• 9. Re: Netshield eof 31 december 2009 How about the DAT files ?

Dear Mjmurra, thank you very much for the possitive feedback. I have found some DAT files dated in March 2010. I will use them.

A little bit of "protection" is better than "nothing". I am still struggling to understand why McAfee just stop supplying the DAT files.

Nothing stops them "asking more money" for the service. Yes, Novell has discontinued Netware but there is still updates (no product development).

The reason why Netware is still live is due to "paying clients", yes it is not so affordable but it works! We all want stable networks :-)

I struggle for a week to clean a Linux / SME Server having lots of infected files. It sounds great to say that Linux is not effected by a Virus but what do you do when the .exe and .html files are infected (do not run) due to the w32/virut virus. ClamAV did not do its job.

Looks like Kasperski has a solution, will test and see.

Message was edited by: PhillipS.RSA on 2010/12/20 10:59:29 PM
                          1 2 Previous Next